User Tag List

Thread: SYS_Execute

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SYS_Execute

I'm running ST 5.5 SP3, and since upgrading from SP2 I'm having problems with the SYS_Execute() command. Specifically when used with the 'hHost->' machine handle.
    The error I get is: "Error: Expecting machine handle"
    Is anyone else seeing the problem?
    Have you worked around it easily?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: SYS_Execute

This may have absolutely nothing to do with what you're experiencing, but somewhere in the 5.5 / Hotfix pile, SYS_Execute() "broke". You'll see several posts in this forum related to misbehavior of this function. For some reason, and only on some machines, and only when something (that no one can point a finger at) is "wrong", SYS_Execute() will block and not return until the app it started completes.

Now, some of us have managed to get around this after repeated install / remove / cleanup / try again sequences. Segue has semi-acknowledged that there is something wrong, but they haven't been able to find it either. Their solution is to use a different call ... easy if it's localized, but a pain if it's not!

In any event, I'd suggest seeing whether SYS_Execute() works at all for you -- without the remote machine parameter -- and if not, you'll need to solve that problem first.

In other words, you may just be seeing a different side-effect of the problem that many of us have seen with this call.

Good Luck!

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: SYS_Execute

What I've ended up doing is connecting to, and setting the Host machine as the active agent. Then the SYS_Execute() statement is OK. The same command used with the hHost machine handle (hHost->SYS_Execute(sString)) returns "Error: Expecting machine handle". Other SYS_ functions that use the hHost handle are fine.
    Maybe the next SP will fix this problem, and break only the things I'm not using.

I should have been a plumber

------------------