SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dynamic Data Driven Scripts

At the last site I worked at they were a rational scripting shop. One of the benefits our Visual basic programmer got out of rational was the ability to create and call up primative dialog boxes to enter data and set parameters dynamically.

Things like:
    How many times do you want to run this script?
    Textbox:

Does anyone know a way to:

Dynamically enter data, rather then load strings and arrays through some static source like a database, text file, or spread sheet?

Here's what I am working on:

I am working on a massive .asp/.net based application generating data for them. Basically I am recieving requests for specific naming conventions in fields, special drop down entries, etc. Sometimes we are talking dozens of permutations of data.

The suite of scripts I have fashioned take about 2 hours to run, and each time I am running the script to fulfill a specific client need I am changing the data manually in a static database and sometimes in specific scripts as well. It's alot of manual work, but would be much easier if I could script some means by which to set variables on the fly.

Thanks for any advice or suggestions you could offer.

John Finnegan
    QaAssociates

------------------
    John Finnegan
    QA Assocaites.co
    John Finnegan
    Automation Engineer
    QaAssociates.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Dynamic Data Driven Scripts

There are ways to do what you want by making .DLL calls. The User's Guide goes into details.

Another way is to consider placing well-documented variables at the top of a Silk .pln document from which the user would run your tests. This approach has the added benefit of masking all of your source code from prying eyes or inadvertent damage.

One problem with interactive test operations is that they can serously impact test suite run times if overdone - ie: spoon-feeding.

Another problem is parsing the user's input, reporting errors, and supporting retries. This alone can be like writing another application which is why I suggest that most people avoid it.

John

John

------------------