User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Numeric Field Overflow

When reading in data from an excel spreadsheet I am receiving the error:
    Numeric Field Overflow. I've checked the fields for any numbers that might be too long and there aren't any. Has anyone ever received this message before? Any help would be appreciated. Thx!
    Jill Vannausdle

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Numeric Field Overflow

If you search the forum for this topic, you'll see endless discussions of the problem.

The "easy" way out is to simply format every cell in your worksheet as TEXT. That is, select the entire worksheet, then do the format. You can do this on a cell-by-cell basis, but why bother? This is one of those times where brute force wins.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Numeric Field Overflow

I agree with Brent Rolland. But I would also suggest you to download an odbc test tool. With the tool you can run your queries and find out if there are any errors. This you can do with out running the automated scripts. Saves a lot of your time and sometimes will help in debugging.

I had faced a similar problem and used the ODBCtest tool know what was the data returned by the query. one of the fields was returning NULL (though the data was present!). I deleted the data in Excel sheet and and re-entered the data. It worked!

Hope that helps.

btvenkatesh@yahoo.com

------------------