SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Why Purchase SilkTest?

My Director is asking me to prepare a justification to purchase SilkTest. He wants me to compare it with the other tools out there.

What are some of the big selling points of SilkTest? What makes it the better choice?
    How does it's cost compare with the other tools?

Thanks
    Steve
    PS - I'm sure some of you have been through this before.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Why Purchase SilkTest?

Difficult to use
    Bad support for IE5
    Overwrite gdi32.dll
    Bad customer support
    Can't scroll

Need more?

Please ignore the previous e-mail. Looks like somebody misread your message. They forgot that they were working for the competitors...

SilkTest is object oriented, was the first web testing tool. Has an unparalleled recovery system. Supports more browsers than any other tool. Has comprehensive and extensible support for Java. Tech support is not awesome but it is much better than it was last year.

AJ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's (a little unbiased) opinion:

Don't take any unregistered user's replies seriously... They probably work for one of the tool vendors, otherwise they'd have the courage to tell where they'rre from.

SilkTest is the 1st web enabled test tool out there. It has a ton of features and is the best tool for testing Java.

True the support ranks way down there... but there is enough user support here and other places that covers that.

It does require good programming skills, because it's powerfull, and I'd invest in some classes if you plan to purchase it.

My 2 cents...

------------------
    AJ Alhait
    BetaSoft Inc.
    AJ Alhait
    BetaSoft Inc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Steve

AJ is preety much on the beam with SilkUser and SilkUser2. Why not have Mercury Interactive and Segue come to your shop and
    make thier pitch. In my opinion the choice
    is down to those two organizations (so that should help).

Mostly because both have a way of mapping controls to identifiers in ONE PLACE. Such that when a creative developer has to change a label on a control, the impact to maintaining all your tests is minimized.

You can ask all kinds of Questions about your environment that will help you determine the best answer for your company.
    Hopefully the Sales kids will drag along one technical Adult (they are usually the one that drives the demo).

Now for my two cents worth:
    SilkUser is right Silk does overwrire the gdi32.dll Mercury does not.

Silk does NOT have support for a good number of third party products such as Citrix. Also they have very limited support for People- Soft and that hurts them in my envirnoment.

If you check the finacials Mercury has more revenue comming in and can re invest more in development. Right now that simply is not true about Segue, and it shows!

Classes for Segue are sporadic and get cancelled, plus they are expensive. This has not been the case with Mercury from what little I know of the company.

Mercury also has top notch technical support
    compared to Segue and an online knowlege base
    (which I have hounded Segue to supply).

Personally I really like the Object oriented approach Segue has adopted. Also SilkUser is dead wrong on difficult to use. If you can program or want to you can use Silk and
    do great things with it.

BTW if all you want to do is record and playback then go for a dirt cheap solution. Because people who strictly record and playback, usually do not succeed in Automating test sequences over the long haul. This is because of the maintannce nightmare, and lack of portability of the tests that are created via this approach.

If you are going to Automate you need to start with a very good programatic product. Because automating QA is a rough road man!

If you save a few bucks up front I gaurantee you will lose $alot more revenue in overtime and loss of productivity when you "run those tests" and they don't work.

Ultimately the choice is yours but remember this .. either product is very expensive. So you should be prepared in scoping out what applications you need to test, and prepare a list of questions for the competitors.

I would also require a proof of concept from the company you choose. That means that they send someone in and automate specific benchmark sequences over a one or two day period of time. If they don't do it to your satisfaction they don't have a deal.

I hope that you can get something usefull out of all this. (looks like my two cents turned into $1.25)

Rick Weth

[This message has been edited by rick_weth (edited 01-12-2000).]
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!
    Sincerely
    Richard Weth
    Sr. QA Engineer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Just adding my own two cents:

The object-orientation is probably a big point that is only being glossed over. With this you can have very robust exception handling and modularity thus code reuse becomes much easier and more practical. You get away from the strictly procedural approach of WinRunner. Also, this allows you to build templates for test scripts that anyone can use. In any standardized environment you should ideally not be able to tell who wrote the test script since you template the details.

There is also something that many people do not mention: the override functions of TestCaseEnter, TestScriptEnter (and their exit functions). This allows for a fantastic ability to write "automation engines" that allow for event-driven setups which greatly facilitates unattended testing.

SilkTest also provides more functionality for Web testing functions. WinRunner does as well but until 6.0 they were just add-on functions and even with 6.0 there have been no very significant updates to these functions.

WinRunner definitely caters to a more "record-and-playback" approach (although you are not locked into this) while SilkTest does not - in fact, it is better if you do not with SilkTest and rather build up modular test script templates broken up by TestCase.

Just my opinion here: SilkTest and the language behind it (4Test) are much more true to the spirit of how automated test scripts should be constructed. WinRunner (again, just opinion) is sold based on simplicity of recording the scripts and not robustness of maintaining them. There is a steeper learning curve with SilkTest but I feel that you are guaranteed more maintainable and robust test scripts over the course of time.

Also: I am not sure of the environment that SilkUser was running in but personally I have never had trouble running SilkTest (5.0, 5.01, and now 5.02) with Internet Explorer 5.x and that browser is usually my target platform for clients.

One last thought: buying a tool based on support has never struck me as a good idea. There are plenty of ways to do workarounds in SilkTest and WinRunner such that support should definitely not be the deciding vote. This is just my opinion but personally I have found that a company that has great support is usually a company that needs it because their product has so many people confused! I say this somewhat tongue-in-cheek, of course.

[This message has been edited by JeffNyman (edited 01-12-2000).]

I agree

the best thing is to ask both vendors to perform a "Proff of concept"

LR
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What about Visual Test? This lets you make compiled stuff. Silk only does the ino file which isn't really a compilation at all. VT also lets you automatically put failed tests into a regression test suite. Silk and WR don't do that. Peronally I'd go with Visual Test - it's object-oriented and can do good exception handling.

Visual Test is indeed another option, and it is much lower cost compared to the Mercury or Segue tools. However, the last time I looked, Visual Test was definitely NOT object oriented. Visual Test's Test Basic language is procedural, not object oriented.

Besides lower cost, another advantage to VT is the learning curve for becoming proficient at developing test scripts is not as steep as it is for Silk/QAP. Finding knowledgeable software test automation engineers with strong practical experience with Silk/QAP is difficult. IMHO, a strong background in OOP development and software test methodology is a prerequisite for anyone considering deploying Silk/QAP.

You'll also find that there are more books and information resources available for VT than there are for Silk/QAP. Check out www.vtindepth.com.

Just my $0.02...

Tony Mrozinski
    Sr. Software Test Automation Engineer
    Home Networking Operations
    Intel Corporation

AJ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But, there are a lot of things you cannot do with VT that SilkTest was designed to do

VT just started to support web now, but it's got a long way to go...

------------------
    AJ Alhait
    BetaSoft Inc.
    AJ Alhait
    BetaSoft Inc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast