SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A simple question

I'm a novice for silktest and need your help, thanks in advance.
    My question is:
    Shall we put all the frame declaration in just one .inc file or seperate them in different .inc files? Can u tell me the advantage or disadvantage of doing so?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: A simple question

It is up to you.

You can have several or just one. I use one inc file and put all my declarations in it. This makes it easier for me as they are all in one. You may wish to have several. The choice is yours.

------------------
    Who Tests The Tester...
    Who Tests The Tester...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whola!

Well it is not really a choice always. A lot of reasons are responsible for this, say for example your Application Under Test(AUT) is huge, with lots of dialog boxes which again has many children. To put the declaration for all of them in a single .inc is not only unadvisable it is difficult to keep a track of the changes as and when they happen. The major criteria with any declaration is the maintanence. Further down the line if your app undergoes modification to update the declaration accordingly would be a cumbersome process. Navigating through a unrealistically large declaration file is not what a good automation tester will wish for.

If the controls and dialogboxes are repetitive and recurring, then ideally since SilkTest (4Test) caters for a OO style of coding, creating base classes and deriving instances (that means separate declaration files) to reduce overhead and duplication of effort is not a bad idea. Several other reasons facilitate the creation of separate declaration files.

On the other hand if the app is really limited in its scope and growth, there is no reason why one needs to create separate declaration files.

------------------
    never say die
    Life, that dares send, A challenge to his end,
    And when it comes say, Welcome friend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whenever I am creating scripts for an application that contains different modules I will have an include file for each module. Each module based include will then have the window declarations and any functions related strictly to that module. This tends to work pretty good for maintenance reasons.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, I see, thank u all!

------------------