Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Communication with Silk Meter is failing:

Hey folks,

Have installed Silk on a new network as follows:

There is a domain "HIGHLANDHEIGHTS" The meter is on a machine named "FILEMAN" STest is on "CLIENT1"

When I installed Silk 5.5.3 on CLIENT1, it found the meter server, at least I assume it did because when I typed in FILEMAN and 5461, it paused for a moment looking for the licence server, and them moved on with no objection.

However, upon firing off Silk, it does not get a license from the server.

When I run the hostinfo.exe on FILEMAN it tells me the host name is "fileman" and that's accurate. I'm assuming case is irrelevant.

The SilkMeter NT service is running on FILEMAN.

When I run sgme.exe on the client(SilkTest) machine like this:

sgme checkserver fileman:5461

it returns with

"SilkMeter manager found: 2.2.2#Win32"

which indicates to me that the client machine is indeed communicating with the server.

There are four files on the SilkTest machine in the cfg folder. I've opened each of them and the info appears to be accurate.

CosLicensingService.ref
    CosPropertyService.ref
    ls_segue.ref
    silkmeter.cfg

Here is the actual error message:

No License for 'SilkTest_GUI5.5'!
    ErrorMessage: The communication with the License Server failed.
    Please make sure that the license server is running and is accessible from the client machine.
    ErrorCode: 5

Any insights?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Communication with Silk Meter is failing:

DJ,

There are 2 possibilities, firstly you may find that the host name is case sensitive and secondly if the host id of your license server has changed even when you are able to connect to a license you might get a new error
    'No license for SilkTest_GUI5.5

Error essage : No license available for this license server host ID
    ErrorCode: 108'

If you get this error you will need to contact Segue to get a new license tied to your new host id

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try this:

In the SilkTest directory start up the utility smadmin.exe

type in the name or ip address of the SilkMeter server machine and then click Apply.

Click the Test Connection button and look for something like this to get returned: "SUCCESS: Testing connection to license server succeeded.
    The server version is 2.3.5, platform is Win32"

If that works...you are communicating successfully from SilkTest to the server. If you don't, look for a hosts file that may be directing you to a wrong IP address.

Once the above works and you still can't get a license, then check out your license server.

------------------
    James Soderborg
    http://www.ameliortech.com
    jamesso@ameliortech.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have had a problem similar to this. Sometimes I will lose my communication with the license server for some unknown reason. However, I can still ping the license server which tells me that I can communicate with it. What I have found is our Silkmeter machine uses the entire domain name for the host name(Silkmeter.somewhere.com). I have had to run smadmin in the Silktest folder on my client machine and change the name of the license server host to use the entire domain, test the connection, and it would work. I could then change it back to use the short host name (Silkmeter). I know this sounds crazy but it has worked for me. I think this may have something to do with how Win2000 uses the host names. Otherwise it could be an invalid entry in the host file on your client.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for these responses. I will investigate this further. To get it running quickly, I installed ST and Meter on the same machine and used "localhost" to make it go.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi,

I have a problem, i can successfully communicate with the license server resulting in a message " Success:Testing connection to license server succeeded. the server version is 2.5.2, platform is Win32"
    But when i try to import license policy, by opening "User Policy Administrator" in Silk Meter then i get the message :

"Policy administrator could not connect to Usage Control Manager smSystem.exe. Please make sure that
    1) smSytem.exe is running.
    2)SILK_CONFIG_PATH is set correctly.
    3)Host name and port number are correct

I also have rechecked my host id . It seems to be ok. I made an entry as suggested here in my winnt/system32/drivers/etc/host for the license server. But does not help.

Could anyone provide an insight to this ?

[ 01-13-2004, 01:00 AM: Message edited by: GeetikaAdya ]