Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silk Test Eval

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Silk Test Eval

I'm currently evaluating Silk Test 5.5. Just received it Wednesday, and my Manager is giving me until tomorrow to automate a regression test scenario. Next week he wants me to do it in WinRunner, and whichever is the easist to use, he's planning to purchase. I have no Silk Test experience, and yesterday was my first time seeing the app. Is this realistic. I've been reading through the user's guide, but most of the examples are for functional testing, and I need to automate a System Test process. Basically, I need to automate configuring an order and getting it into a "submitted" status.

Can anyone give me some direction? How long did it take you to automate a scenario when you first started with Silk Test?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Silk Test Eval

Until tomorrow? Boy, you're in deep ****
    Can't negotiate with your Manager for a more reasonable amount of time?
    This automation stuffs does not happen overnight, ya know? Most of us have to go thru some Training Classes. It takes time.
    Your Manager must really think you are Superman or else he just want to get rid off you by tomorrow
    Good luck!

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jeff,

The learning curve on SilkTest really depends on your coding experience. If you've programmed in Java or C++ before, you'll learn SilkTest quickly. The most important thing to understand is SilkTest is organized around classes, which provide methods to drive or observe objects.

For example;

HtmlLink is a class.
    Click () is a "drive" method
    BrowserPage.HtmlLink ("Home").Click () is a 4-test statement using these concepts.
    BrowserPage is defined by SilkTest already and always refers to the current page.

Hope this helps

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all of the replies everyone. I do have coding experience in Java, PowerBuilder, VB, and a little C++. When this meeting occured, I spoke along with developers from our development team that trying to learn a new product enough to accomplish our task in 3 days is just not possible; however, my Manager insisted that I give it a try, because our Director wants to make a decision soon.

I'm very confident that I can learn the technology given more time, but in this case, time is too scarce. Thanks again everyone.

Jeff

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jeff@SystemTest:
    Thanks for all of the replies everyone. I do have coding experience in Java, PowerBuilder, VB, and a little C++. When this meeting occured, I spoke along with developers from our development team that trying to learn a new product enough to accomplish our task in 3 days is just not possible; however, my Manager insisted that I give it a try, because our Director wants to make a decision soon.

I'm very confident that I can learn the technology given more time, but in this case, time is too scarce. Thanks again everyone.

Jeff

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now I see
    So it's the Director who is trying to put pressure on everybody. Sure it's not the President or CEO
    Is he trying to beat some deadline on or before Sept 11, maybe?
    This could be an expensive investment and rushing for that decision can cost a lot if it happens to be the wrong one...

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please look closely at what Gilbert said above. You pay dearly for buying the wrong tool. I have experience working for a company that purchased the "wrong tool" for a particular task. Cost them close to a half-mil and the troops in the trenches hated the tool and eventually it ended up collecting dust on a shelf.

Insist on taking the time to do a solid evaluation and tie it to the dollars the company is about to lay down. You ARE acting in the best interest of the company!

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jeff@SystemTest:

Jeff

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Since you are being given virtually no time to do anything even approaching an in-depth comparison, just take a simple approach.

Use some simple, known application. Many vendors choose Notepad for their demos, for example. If you don't have a simple, stable application of your own, you could use this.

Build a simple set of test cases to verify the dialogs that appear when menu items are selected. Try to exercise as many differnt controls (checkboxes, radio button, etc) as you can, particularly any non-standard controls (grid controls are a non-standard, but common control).

Since the only decision factor appears to be "which is easiest", this may give management what they say they wanted, in the time frame they desire.

Sadly, as you have seen from the discussion here, it's unlikely this will be a very effective tool evaluation. Quick and cheap, yes, but very likely ineffective. You may get lucky, or you may not.

------------------
    - Joe (strazzerj@aol.com)
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One day per product is totally unrealistic. A month is a better time frame. It can take that long to clearly identify your applications' test requirements, investigate the abilities and limitations of each tool, and to identify your own comfort level with their approach. And it can take far longer to build something that reliably resolves more issues than it causes.

Management expectations are often that application automation is a simple task that anyone can accomplish. It is not. Their former experiences from simple applications in the DOS days of SuperKey no longer apply.

Both tools can be used to write capture/playback-like test cases which have the unfortunate but very seductive illusion of abbreviated test development time and ease of use. That's how they sell them.

On very simple projects this might be adequate. However it is a recipe for disaster when inevitable test suite maintenance issues arise especially when large software projects are involved. One seemingly-harmless engineering change can prevent successful operation of hundreds of testcases. Is management willing to accept the risk of "no tests" when they're pressured to ship a critical release to a major customer? Not likely. And who's going to be the most likely fall-guy when automation fails to live up to their ill-informed expectations?

The alternate approach that can work (as opposed to quick-n-dirty capture/playback) is to recognize automation for what it really is - a software development effort that requires all of what that entails. Magic-bullet instant solutions don't exist no matter what the sales guys say.

John

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Find out from your manager exactly what he wants to see from the evaluation.

Contact your techical sales or support rep to assist you in working out a test script. If you explain your position I'm sure you will get some assistance.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You said that you needed to do more system test than GUI tests. If you give us an example of what type of test that you are looking to implement and how you manually do this today, we may be able to send you some example code to use/expound on.

------------------
    James Soderborg
    http://www.ameliortech.com
    jamesso@ameliortech.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast