User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Passing variables by reference allowed?

I am trying to do the equivalent in 4Test for the following C/C++ sample:

BOOL SomeFunction (int& VariableToChange)
    {
    // do something to get the value we want to change
    // now modify the referenced value
    VariableToChange = 100; // or whatever

// now return the actual function return
    if (VariableToChange != 0)
    {
    return TRUE;
    }
    return FALSE;
    }

int main() {
    int VariableToChange;

SomeFunction(VariableToChange);

printf("new value = %d \n",
    VariableToChange);

return 0;
    }

So I want to pass a reference to a defined variable and have the function itself modify the value and then be able to use that modified value from the calling function. 4Test has something called the @ "reference operator" but it doesn't *appear* to me to be the same thing as the & in C/C++. I am pretty new to 4Test so any help would be appreciated.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Passing variables by reference allowed?

Easy - use the keyword 'out' (or the keyword 'inout') when specifying the required input variables in your function declaration. For example:
    Use the pass-mode keyword 'out' if you need to pass an argument by reference; use the pass-mode keyword 'in' if you need to pass an argument by value. The default is 'in' (i.e. if you don't specify a pass-mode then it passes by value).
    'inout' is in practice exactly the same thing as 'out', I don't understand why they are specified as different, but the language reference claims they are different in some sense.
    Disclaimer: I know how the pass-mode operators work for simple variable types; when it comes to passing objects (windows) into a function, I can't say I'm an expert. To be honest, I've never needed done sufficiently complicated OO stuff in silktest to need to worry about it.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Passing variables by reference allowed?

Perfect! Thanks very much.

------------------