SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Problems using SetTrap and Exists in the same testcase

I was hoping maybe someone has come across a similar problem to what I am having.

I am using the SetTrap method on a messagebox in a testcase. I know SetTrap has problems of its own. The only reason I am using it is because the operation I am performing in my application is being timed, so using something such as the WaitFor method (from qadownloads) would most likely throw off the time and also because the messagebox only contains an OK button so there is no need to do any type of validation on it.

The problem I have run into is that when I use the SetTrap feature in a testcase, I have problems with the Exists method on a completely different window. I figure out when an operation is complete by waiting for the dialog to disapear, so I use the following

do while (Window.Exists(1))
    Sleep (1)

If I use this code by itself, it works flawlessly. However with the SetTrap method already executed in a previous block, it will wait for a minute or so before it realizes the window has disapeared!

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Problems using SetTrap and Exists in the same testcase

I can't reproduce it with a quick-n-dirty Notepad example. SetTrap() closes the Open dialog just as fast as it sees it and immediately goes onto the next line of code.

Do your have a code example that we can look at?

John

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wa using something along these lines:

MessageBox.SetTrap ("OK")

// Code to perform operation

while (Window.Exists(1)
    Sleep (1)
    // Message box should come up sometime during this, and then the window will close

// Code to finish

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you also included a ClearTrap once you are finished with the trap you set with SetTrap?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes at the end of the testcase...

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, I think I have a solution.

Go into Options/Runtime and check the boxes for "Show detailed status..." and "Save Status window..." in the lower left corner.

Then rerun your test with the SetTrap() code enabled. At the point where your app' "waits a minute or so" check the runtime status box: What part of your code is silk working on in it's "Current Agent Call" line?

I suspect that the delay you're incurring is a side effect of a command in other nearby code - a delay which seems to be made-worse by an active SetTrap call.

Try setting the Options/Agent "Window Timeout" to a much lower value (like 1) than it currently is (probably 30 or higher). I think you'll find that your code will run much faster.

John

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Without the SetTrap, I see
    Window.Exists(1) repeat many times (for the duration of the windows existance), but with SetTrap, I only see one Window.Exists(1) call followed by the code that finishes up the testcase.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I should also mention that the window timeout is set to 4. I tried using a withoptions statement and setting it to 1 for the duration of the exists method but it didn't make any difference.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your app's behavior matches what I had expected you'd see. For some reason, SetTrap() is unnecessarily sensitive to the window timeout value. Here's my final attempt:

If this doesn't help, give support a call and see if they've any similar reports. Realise though that they'll likely need a functioning code block from you that demonstrates the problem.

John

------------------