SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GetNativeClass Question

I am using the GetNativeClass method to dynamically reference objects in my window. See the "Cool Code" post.

This works great until I hit something that is using text as the tag and the text is dynamic.
    There are other things to use as tags such as the WindowID or index,
    but how can I make GetNativeClass or something else use those tags instead of the text?

Here is an example of what is returned from the method.

I would like to see something like this if possible.

------------------

[This message has been edited by blacst (edited 07-19-2002).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: GetNativeClass Question

Thanks for your reply John,

I have confirmed that I can be an idiot sometimes. I was really meaning the
    GetChilren Method instead of the GetNativeClass. There is a big difference there.
    Anyway, When I first declared the Applet I thought I had the "show all classes" on too.
    Really, all of those object exist, and are visible Java window objects on this god forsaken applet.

I know the developer, he just delights in
    creating the most convoluted,
    complex interfaces that he can! "Enough Venting".

What you are seeing is the raw undeclared objects that the GetChildren function returns from the applet. The only thing that I declare
    is the applet parent itself "NSCPearsonEPENSystem". The objects are buried in multiple Java Panes and other objects.
    The number of panes and objects is dynamic. For one user it could be 3 panes deep,
    another could be 4 and yet another could be 2. It just depends on what the user "wants" to see.

That's why I created that function to get my window handles.

I will look around to see what I can find and report back. If anyone has any ideas I am all ears.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW, your post blows up the formatting here which makes it very hard to read.

I'm not aware of a way to force Silk to adjust its return values based on user options but that doesn't mean their isn't a way to do it.

You could just replace each of the text values using a StrTran() call. Of course that'd require an inventory first to see how many there are, and what #-number you'd need to apply.

The large number of customwins in your example implies that "show all classes" is checked. If so, you might consider unchecking it to hide all of the layers that you probably don't need (or want).

John

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John J. Miller:
    FWIW, your post blows up the formatting here which makes it very hard to read.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I couldn't agree more ...

------------------
    never say die
    Life, that dares send, A challenge to his end,
    And when it comes say, Welcome friend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

John,

I guess the first question is what the heck is "FWIW"?
    The second question is by formating are you meaning that the damn thing runs as far to the right as it can?
    I am not sure what caused that if you have a solution I am all ears because I don't care for it either.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW = For what it's worth.

I not sure what causes the endless right-margin effect of some posts. Resizing the screen in mid-edits can cause HTML based systems to have presentation problems. You might try re-editing your first post to insert a few line-shortening Enter keys.

GetChildren() is what I would have used too. Was a Strtran() loop to replace the variable text useful?

know the developer, he just delights in creating the most convoluted, complex interfaces that he can! "Enough Venting".

Ouch! Well, not enough venting in my view, actually. My turn...

Overly creative engineers are a costly hazard to both testability, usability and deliverability of a product.

Is this engineer's level of creativity justified? Does it actually enhance the product or is each new build the equivalent to opening Pandora's box? How bug free has it been?

Almost every application should adhere to established interface guidelines.

Sometimes automation problems are best solved by going around the cause rather than beating ourselves to death attempting to accommodate every odd-ball, inconsistent "creative moment" that an engineer might dish out.

Where you can show evidence of duplicated effort in equivalent areas that exhibit different behavior, implementation inconsistencies, buggy-ness due to unjustified 'creativity', or custom objects where a standard object would've sufficed, take these to the top to get them addressed.

Your voice will have particularly strong impact if engineering hasn't been able to meet their schedules. The question to ask of management: How can they justify spending corporate resources doing unnecessary work when the can't even meet their schedule?

Another point that management needs to recognize is that all of those nifty gadgets that development comes up have a substantial cost that goes beyond their department.

Every oddity requires custom handling by the test group both manually and for the automation team. Every one of them also impact the documentation and support groups. And frequently, the customers don't like them. The end result? Development costs are far more than they should be, time to market is increased and profitability drops.

John

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There, maybe the posts will look a little better.
    The Strtran() function won't work for me because I don't know what I would be looking for.
    Darn it. For now, the object I am going after is static. So I can deal with it.
    If something else comes along like this I will have problems.

I fully agree with your soap box speech. Every prophecy you stated has come true
    ten fold. I have stood my ground and pointed out the error of their ways.
    All I got for it was to be booed and hissed.

It's just a job. When this company folds, I will just move on.
    It isn't that bad, but you really have to wonder how these corporations that think they are selling services not software
    make it in the industry.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

blacst,

Would you be so kind and read my last post and offer any thoughts.
    http://www.qaforums.com/Forum1/HTML/003658.html

Thanks.

------------------