SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SILKTEST and MS Access

I am repeating a post I put in the general automation forum here for just the SilkTest people. If you have any ideas or solutions using SilkTest for this please respond here. If you want to discuss it in general or have other tool solutions I think it would make more sense to respond in the automation forum.

Thanks,
    Tom

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Here is the scenario; we have an Access application that is an extension to our main product. It uses Access forms for Input, Validation and Reporting. It is not a small application and is in fact very complex. After it does what it has to do, it syncs up the MDB with either an Oracle or SQLBase DB that is used by the main application.

My problem is this. We are an extensive SilkTest shop. There is about 4 years worth of work into automation of this application. We have an in-house custom extension to SilkTest that records the objects in Access forms and maps them back to standard classes using psuedo tags. These tags have to be heavily maintained, they are controlled by coordinates in the background and every time the version of MS Office is changed, the extension needs to modified and verified.

The automation runs “Fair” to “OK” but it is slow, hard to maintain. The coverage for the application is only into the 15-20% range and needs to be much higher. The amount of saved man-hours is minimal at best and the only real leverage from automation is repeatability. My firm would like to raise this level by double digits and I am fairly sure this cannot be done (within reason) with SilkTest or possibly any other tool.

Here is what I need. If any of you have been in a similar situation and have an automation solution, can you please share your experiences with me? If you have other tool solutions and are not just a vendor wanting to tell me that your tool is the best thing since sliced bread, I’m all ears. My 2 most likely solutions to this problem are to either drop the effort all together or focus on other apps/areas to automate or to go to straight record and playback. If I go the record and playback route, I need the best and most stable recording tool (SilkTest is many things, but it is not this).

I would appreciate any help you all could give.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: SILKTEST and MS Access

Tom,

If your environment does not REQUIRE you to update to the latest and greatest version of MS Access all the time, then you should be able to add more automated scripts for testing your main product by setting your tests to run on machines that have the version of MS Access that you know had worked before. Othewise, you just have to ask management to hire more people for your automation.
    In a previous job, we used MS Excel a lot as part of our automation also. When the MIS or IS people goes around and updates everyone's PC to have the latest MS Office version, the automated scripts get affected.
    Good thing that our AUT does not have to be shipped with MS Excel so, we just uninstall the newer Excel and install the older version (WHILE someone is making changes to the MS Excel windows declarations/extensions to make them work with the newer Excel version).
    Switching to a different tool -- you'll most likely end up with the same problem since there is this "3rd party" software (MS Access) involved.
    ...just a thought...

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

180,000 testcases and still only 15-20% coverage? Wow! that must be a really big application you have there.
    Maybe you can suggest that others in your QA group develop/create the test scenarios manually in a step-by-step form that you or somebody else can easily transform into automated scripts --- just to speed up on increasing the automation coverage -- since we all know that scripting takes time also. I understand what you mean by working on an application full of customized objects where the tool can't handle well in the Record/Playback mode.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That would be nice except it does have a current requirement of Office XP. The real problem I have is in object recognition and manipulation. We can get around it but it is never easy. The main application I deal with is written in SQL Windows. We have customized the original Centura Extention and it works fine. I have about 180,000 testcases that we have little to no problems maintaining. On top of that is about 1 1/2 million lines of include files. It isn't really a knowledge problem, it's more of one of those general test tool problems. SilkTest in the client/Server world is starting to fall behind the On-Line world.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

180,000 Testcases is for the main application that the Access Application interfaces with. The Access applicasion has about 15,000 automated testcases. I found out something interesting from the person who wrote the custom extension yesterday. It may solve my problem, but I need to get the resources to do the modifications. It is a classic case of getting what you ask for. When the extension was built the request was to be able to get data out of the forms. He never real went to much effort along the GUI manipulation lines because no one asked for it. So it seems if I can get his time, he may be able to extend the extension...

------------------