SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best testing framework?

Just started using Silk last week to test a huge VB application. There are 100's of dialogs and the application is laid out with a treeview on the left and a frame on the right where the dialogs are shown. So the window declarations change every time a user selects a new node from the tree. There are also probably a few hundred pop-up dialogs

This is how I thought I would proceed... can anyone comment? I want to make sure I'm not setting myself up for a nightmare.
    I would then derive every single application dialog that would be loaded in the right frame from that main class.
    In doing this, will there be any problems to look out for? I doubt that Test Recording will work the way I'd want... but so far I've written all my tests manually and plan to continue doing so. I like to have that extra control...

Also, can anyone point me to a DateTimePicker class? Or must I write my own. In addition, I've mapped a Tab Control to a PageList (also tried OLESSTab) and cannot get any functionality, particularly Select().

Thanks for any advice
    --Don

------------------
    Don

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Best testing framework?

Hello Don,

Well in order to substantiate your approach a couple of points need to be clarified first, so let's see if we can be of some help to you ...

1: Are there any primary and secondary children of the dialogboxes ?
    2: Are any of the dialog boxes displayed, same for different nodes selected in the tree view ?
    3: Are most of the controls in all the dialog boxes same or repetitive ?
    4: Are the dialog boxes displayed in the frame Modal ?
    5: What are the Pop Up dialogs that you are referring to ? Are they Message Boxes those pop up on some invalid input etc ?
    6: Also a frame.inc would be of more help.
    7: Are the dialog boxes that are displayed similar for a particular action, say a particular command or user action ?

A lot of time can be saved here if dealt with properly. Well let us know about it.

Good Luck !

------------------
    never say die
    Life, that dares send, A challenge to his end,
    And when it comes say, Welcome friend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll try to describe it better. The program is laid out like Windows Explorer, with the folder tree on the left and whatever directory on the right. Except in the application I'm testing, clicking a node loads a dialog template in the other frame instead of a directory.

For example:

Clicking the Schedule node would bring up a dialog of an Employee's work schedule which could look like this:

The list view might show the employee's schedule and then there would be buttons to add or remove selections from the schedule. The Add button might bring up a modal popup dialog requesting more information.

There are probably very few dialogs that are enough alike that I could use the same class for.

I hope that answers some of your questions.
    Thanks
    --Don

------------------
    Don

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For your purposes, creating a new class to encapsulate the container-like characteristics of the right frame is a reasonable start.

Witchcrop's list points out just a few of many real-world considerations that you must also address at some point.

John

------------------