SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you done any Bit Map Verifications?

I am running into some issues with the Bit Map tool. One of our clients wants us to screen shot all of their pages, and use it as a smoke test to check for development updates on their screens.

(It may be faster then waiting for change reports from Development)

A) The first issue involve asp pages being longer then the screenshot can seem to gather information. For example, if I was to have a asp page that was say the equivalent of 3 screens long, is there any way to gain snap shots of the entire screen? Or is it limited to only to what is displayed on the page.

Specifically I have been using the Window screen shot ability on the Bit Map tool, and selecting an entire window. What I was hoping would occur is the entire window, including the bit map would be snapped. Currently only what is displayed on the screen is getting snap shotted. Would using "Client Area" help this? Is there any way to get an entire screen as a bit map
    without it displaying in its entirety at the time of capturing?

B) The second issue I am running into is the bit map verifications. If the bit map fails, the code of
    that script fails anywhere after the bit map. Is this the nature of bit map verification or am I doing something wrong? I have attempted several times to adjust my Agent Options for Bit map verification to see if that would
    help.

c) The last issue I am running into involves masking. I have reviewed the steps in the training materials and the User's Guide and it doesn't really have solid steps to place a mask on a bit map. Do you have to save the mask as a separate bit map? Do you simply resave the baseline bitmap with the black mask over it and the verify test works correctly?
    The help files doesn't have steps. The User's Guide steps don't seem to work ( I assume I am doing something wrong) because entries the Guide refers to are grayed out. I assume I have to set up a specific situation or do it in a certain way to get the Bitmaps/Apply mask feature to become active. So far everything I have tried has not allowed this feature to become ungrayed. Any specific steps to lay a mask down that a Bit Map verify can understand would be very appreciated.

Thanks for all your help past and present,

John Finnegan
    Qa Associates

------------------
    John Finnegan
    QA Associates
    http://www.qaassociates.com
    John Finnegan
    QA Associates

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Have you done any Bit Map Verifications?

Hi John,

FWIW, I did this long ago but abandoned the idea for the following reasons you might consider for relevancy to your effort. They are arranged in no particular order in a problem/possible-work-around format:

1. They are slow. However, you can speed this up quite a bit by minimizing the default Agent/Option values.

2. They are often stopped by any flashing or blinking item in the display. Software Engineering can often provide an option to control this. Masks may be useful here but they obviously entail a development/maintenance effort.

3. They quickly take up hugh amounts of disk space. Incorporate a compression program.

4. Bitmaps are often listed as failing because the algorithm that generates the input focus dash box is random. Again, masks might here here but you need to consider the effort to define them AND maintain them long-term.

5. Access to all parts of the AUT to be 'snapped' is an important issue. If you depend on manual effort to do this, you really haven't gained much since a human reviewer is far more efficient at discerning presentation issues. One solution here - assuming you can readily drive the app' to each of its snapshot locations - is to spoon feed these to a human tester for immediate assessment. All they'd do is press a few buttons such as Next, Previous, and Fail in a DLL-driven dialogbox to quickly review the entire product.

5a. Otherwise, you must collect and visually assess an initial baseline database for all snapshot items. The core algorithm to use here is "if exist, compare, else capture". This divide-and-conquer approach supports test suite growth and has the user review only the snapshots with differences.

7. The AUT environment must be absolutely identical each time else you've created a capture/playback equivalent where the slightest change necessitates a recapture, reevaluation effort.

8. Bitmap assessment is often more of a qualitative effort than a quantitative one. The former is exclusively a human endeavor, the latter depends on your ability to adjust to the obstacles listed above.

I hope this is useful.

John

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I definitely appreciate your feedback. Many of these issues I considered before undertaking the effort.

The client knows the risks and the issues involved, but I may find that it simply is going to take far too much time in order to proceed with this effort.

If you have any answers to some of my direct questions would love it.

John

------------------
    John Finnegan
    QA Associates
    John Finnegan
    QA Associates

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A) ...is there any way to gain snap shots of the entire screen?

I don't believe that it's possible to capture the "entire screen" because I doubt those areas have been rendered into video memory.

B) The second issue I am running into is the bit map verifications. If
    the bit map fails, the code of that script fails anywhere after the bit map.

I don't understand your second sentence. If your script is stopping because a bit map compare failed you can wrap that compare routine in a do...except routine to avoid terminating the run.

Do you have to save the mask as a separate bit map? Do you simply resave the baseline bitmap with the black mask over it and the verify test works correctly?

You save the mask file.

1. Capture or load two bitmaps.

2. Set one as Baseline, the other as Result using the tools' Bitmap menu.

3. Select Differences/show. A differences view will appear.

4. Open an Edit/New Mask window and minimize it.

5. Place input focus in the Baseline window.

6. You can now either create a mask file that hides ALL differences by selecting Differences/Convert to Mask drag the mouse to define a mask area; use shift-Drag to erase all or part of a mask. All edits appear in the mask window. The former is probably what you'll want. The latter is probably more likely useful (a guess actually) if you're looking a specific rectangular areas.

7. These mask files are applied to the tools' Baseline and Result windows using Edit/Apply Mask OR by using a 4Test command.

John

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks alot John! Very appreciated.

John

------------------
    John Finnegan
    QA Associates
    John Finnegan
    QA Associates