SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Problem expanding folders

Dear All-

I am new to SilkTest, I am working for a small company and I AM the testing team! I need help with the following problem:

Background: I am testing a client application written in Java. I am using SilkTest 5.5

Problem: Expanding folders. Sometimes when I run the testcases the folders expand beautifully and the testcases run without any errors. However, other times I receive the error message listed below even though I have not modified any code. I cannot seem to find any rhyme or reason as to why this is happening? Comments?

Code: [ ] AC_Desktop.DesktopMain.ADOListsTab.ADOListsTreeVie w.Expand ("CURRENCIES")
    [ ] AC_Desktop.DesktopMain.ADOListsTab.ADOListsTreeVie w.Expand ("CURRENCIES VS. NLG")

Error Message: [-] Testcase ADO_Rename - 1 error
    [ ] *** Error: Item 'CURRENCIES' cannot be expanded
    [ ] Occurred in Expand
    [ ] Called from ADO_Rename at ADO_Operations.t(63)

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Problem expanding folders

From the documentation, you'll get an error if the selected item doesn't have children. If that's the case for you, wrap a do ... except routine around it and test for that error in the except block.

John

------------------

John-

Thank you for your reply. However, these folders are like rabbits, they have tons of children!

See new screenshot. I am quite convinced it is a bug in SilkTest unless someone can convince me otherwise. . .

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Using do...except, you could try the expand several times. If the problem is intermittent, try collapse first, then expand.

Hope this helps.

------------------
    John W Green
    jwgreen@automationexpertise.com
    http://www.automationexpertise.com

Thanks. I'll fiddle with it.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I worked up trushworthy code in my own class for TreeViews over a year ago, so my memory of the problems with the Expand() method are a bit fuzzy.

Because expand() reports a fatal error when the selected item can't be expanded you're pretty-much forced to wrap a do...except routine around it. Here's a code fragment from my own class's Select() routine to get you started:

Note that I never use Silk's Expand() routine from anywhere but the above routine.

John

------------------

Thank you everybody for all your input!

Actually, I called the support center and they told me to use 'DoubleSelect' instead of the 'Expand' method. I have run my tests several times now and so far no problems (well, at least not with exanding folders)!

Also, I've looked into do..except routines and I've got some useful code for future reference.

------------------

P.S. The collapse method still works fine.

------------------