software.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Using LaunchAnywhere\'s java launcher

Are you attempting to automate the install testing?

Not familiar with "Launch Anywyere" but have automated installs with Install Anywhere and it was a bear-n-a-half to get it to work. What you may run into is the need to get the appropriate jar files in the classpath. There was an issue of Install Anywhere establishing a classpath AFTER the install had kicked off. It was an amazingly odd thing. What this did, in effect, was eliminate the Segue jar file from the classpath becuase Silk kicked off the install, and THEN the classpath was established by Install Anywhere. If Launch Anywhere works in the same manner, you will need to wrestle with that same issue.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DJ, you mentioned some of the headaches you have had trying to get around Install Anywhere testing. I am facing some of these same issues. I can't get the Window Decleration recorder to notice any of the controls in the Install Anywhere dialogs. What am I doing wrong? Any help would be appreciated.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Emma,

The answer is no. Since Silk won't be be driving or interacting with the LaunchAnywhere process, it doesn't need to know about it (beyond knowing how to start it, that is).

What must be configured in the extensions and extensions enabler is the name of the applications' executable if it differs from java.exe or javaw.exe. After you've started the app, look at the Task Manager Process tab to see what its name is.

Also it matters where the silktest_java2.jar file is placed so that Silk can communicate with the application. You can either:

1. copy it to the applications' java/lib/ex folder,

OR optionally:

2. Either insert Silk's jar file into the .lax entry for LAX.CLASS.PATH, or merely place the jar file in the same folder as the .lax. Talk to you developers to see which method they use in their code.

Anymore, I always use #1. It's fast, simple, reliable and requires no periodic editing.

John

------------------

[This message has been edited by John J. Miller (edited 11-21-2002).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kevin,

It's been a couple of years since I messed with this, but I would recommend John Miller's #1 suggestion. Find your Java install's ./lib/ext folder and copy the Silk_Java2.jar file into that folder. You may find this folder in more than one place on your drive; one in the JDK### folder and one in the Program Files folder. For safety sake I place it in each of them.

When you have issues with Silk and Java testing, the issue is almost always that the Segue jar file is getting punted out of the classpath. At one point I got so irritated with it that I wrote a recursive routine to copy that file to every stinking folder on my hard drive. That way it HAD to be in the path, and sure enough everything started working!

So, implement John's suggestion and try it again. If it really gets to be a problem, I recall at one point we actually compiled the segue jar right into the build to force those classes into the classpath. I can't recall all the specifics of that, but I remember doing it.

Keep us posted on this. I know how frustrating it is. Just bear in mind that once you get it recognizing your InstallAnywhere java objects it works beautifully!

------------------