Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SilkTest programmer\'s worth

Hello,

I was just wondering how much a SilkTest developer with 1.5 - 2 years experience is worth.(in Boston)

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: SilkTest programmer\'s worth

I think it has to be how much have you done and what you have done with SilkTest in 1-2 years time that matters.

Most of the time a 1 month guy can be as good as the 2 year old guy, because the work becomes repetitive.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chicago is probably similar to Boston.

A year ago, I worked with several test automation developers who personally charged
    $150/hr as consultants (and had done that for 3 years).
    Today, they are all unemployed, but living in luxury

Even in today's economy, there is a shortage of truly gifted test automation developers.

Considering the fact that my test automation finds more bugs -- and more IMPORTANT bugs -- than all of the manual testers here find combined -- I think that we are all worth at least $150/hr :-)

------------------
    Rob Kapteyn
    Rob Kapteyn, CSTE
    RobKapteyn@gmail.com

KS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

$150/hr !!!
    I pay them 40/hr and they are very happy with it. May be because we are not in midwest.
    As far as automation finding bugs, I diagree. 80% of time automation breaks because of automation code related issues not application related.
    I find automation developer spending most of their time fixing and maintaing their code and by the time they are completely done and code is stable , it is time to ship the product and you ask yourself was automation worth the time and $$$

------------------

[This message has been edited by KS (edited 06-27-2002).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KS:
    $150/hr !!!
    I pay them 40/hr and they are very happy with it. May be because we are not in midwest.
    As far as automation finding bugs, I diagree. 80% of time automation breaks because of automation code related issues not application related.
    I find automation developer spending most of their time fixing and maintaing their code and by the time they are completely done and code is stable , it is time to ship the product and you ask yourself was automation worth the time and $$$

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe you should hire the $150 an hour guys and not the $40 an hour guys?

------------------
    Tom
    Tom

KS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Truth hurts..

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If they are spending most of their time fixing and maintaining their code, they're obviously doing something wrong.

------------------
    Have you ever noticed? Anybody going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac.

KS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I found different tools but same situation at IBM, Nortel, Unisys and Schwab. We spend 50k a month to drive automation.
    I guess in a very aggressive environment where time to market period is shorter than six months automation is not worth it. That is just my experience.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most of the time automation is as good if not better than manual tests. It's true that maintaining the code and creating them take alot of time.

The REALITY is product goes out and stays supported for years and patch testing are on a regular basis. Automation brings the cost down on the long run.

6 months cycle is about what most company have anyways. Each cycle doesn't necessarly bring up a new product, it might be a new version, an update or an add-on. They are relatively related. It smells re-use and fast scripting.

KS: you had bad experiences...

[This message has been edited by GodKnows (edited 06-27-2002).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm... Is there any taker for a Silktest guy with over 2.5 yrs exposure to tool and feel comfortable with it.

------------------
    Jaimini Bhatt
    jaiminita@hotmail.com
    jaiminita@yahoo.com
    Jaimini Bhatt

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast