SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perl wrapper for Silk?

Has anyone out there made a perl wrapper for silk? There was a presentation to SUG about these although the presentation doesn't contain much detailed information. I am looking for a way for other testers to specify input to testcases from a webpage and then send a command to Silk to run the test. I am hoping to allow multiple testers to run scripts without having to install Silk on everyone's machines.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Perl wrapper for Silk?

I have not seen anything like that, but it
    sounds cool.

There are two approaches I have used to remotely launch Silk test scripts:

1) create DOS type batch files, invoking
    Silk at the command line and passing arguments to it. On a Windows-NT type network you can push these batch jobs out to the test machine using the AT command;

2) On the remote test machine Via PCanywhere. It seems to work quite
    well under PCanywhere, although the other competing tools, VNC and McAffee-Remote Desktop do not work as well. I have not tried it with Windows-XP remote desktop.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by eisvik:
    Has anyone out there made a perl wrapper for silk? There was a presentation to SUG about these although the presentation doesn't contain much detailed information. I am looking for a way for other testers to specify input to testcases from a webpage and then send a command to Silk to run the test. I am hoping to allow multiple testers to run scripts without having to install Silk on everyone's machines.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
    Charles F. Radley - CSQE
    Oregon, USA.
    Quality Control Analyst at Syntel Inc
    Project Test Lead for client Daimler Trucks - North America.
    Interested in testing dot net web services and SOA systems.
    Charles F. Radley
    Oregon, USA.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

VNC works well for this too. Another alternative is SilkScheduler (Part of SilkPlan Pro). This interface allows you to let anyone to schedule a test to be run on any machine where SilkTest in installed. It is all done through a web interface.

------------------
    James Soderborg
    http://www.ameliortech.com
    jamesso@ameliortech.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jamesso:
    VNC works well for this too. ace.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, I found VNC loads the CPU too much on some machines, and Silk Test starts to fail. The first thing that fails is that the
    setacive() command times out.
    Only Norton's Pcanywhere gives reliable service.

------------------
    Charles F. Radley - CSQE
    Oregon, USA.
    Quality Control Analyst at Syntel Inc
    Project Test Lead for client Daimler Trucks - North America.
    Interested in testing dot net web services and SOA systems.
    Charles F. Radley
    Oregon, USA.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by eisvik:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have you found any solution to this? It sounds very cool and I'll like to know how you got it done. Thanks for your input.

Best regards

------------------
    Silverter - A profi was once a beginner
    Silverter - A guru was once a beginner

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I've found my own solution to the problem. What I have decided to do is create a series of html forms which i use perl to process, these form allow our testers to serach the testcase prototypes and enter parameters, which i put into .t file and then I have perl execute a SYSTEM call and use the command line execution of Silk, partner.exe, to run my custom .t file I have made.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I created a simple VB interface that allows our testers to select a test to run, fill in options for the test and execute them. The applciation is tied into Source SAfe to get the latest scripts (labeled to test different versions of our app). The configuration utility allows them to run on a stand alone PC or in Host multi-target mode. Before Segue came out with the schedule, I had also created a full Web interface that would allow tests to the scheduled and included process to Ghost the requested OS, and configur the systems before each test was run. All of this was done with simple HTML / ASP code, SQL server and lots of Silk Scripts. We also have added a full SQL logging functionality to all of our scripts so anyone can monitor a test as it runs from anywhere (even home).

VNC is OK to use to kick off the scripts (and it is free), but you do not want to monitor the test while it is running with VNC (too much load on the CPU).

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How you guys get PCAnywhere to launch SilkTest automatically?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mhwee

I think the idea is that the VNC/PcAnyWhere item was to allow for "starting an automated process that takes over". It would in my humble opinion be a particularly bad idea to attempt to have VNC or PCAnywhere launch SilkTests automatically.

What you really want is to employ the command line interface and wrap that from a web form which feeds a schedular. (with CGI or ASP something like that).
    -----------------------------------------------

Now for tlvranas
    I am quite impressed with your architectural sketch .. I did/do something very similar .. but I am currently useing C# and ASP instead of the VB and am quite happy with my version of the MS SQL DB which allows testers to monitor tests as they run too. Anyone with a browser in the org can play tester.

Ditto down to the source safe synchronization before the silk command line triggers. However I still feel the time I spent on GHOSTING is a real drag and I decided not to go further with it. I find it is cheeper in the long run to spend on hardware for the configuration I need instead of messing with Ghost all the time.
    I am pondering base Ghost images coupled with a packaging software like Norton to try and stop wasting time with one big ugly binary ghost image where a simple addition/deletion of some software requires another image.

Anyway amazaing parellel with tlvranas experiance, I just couldnt pass up comparing notes with you.
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!
    Sincerely
    Richard Weth
    Sr. QA Engineer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

eisvik - I have a hard copy of a white paper written by the famous 'Mr. Cluey' on incorporating Perl into Silk. It's old and it refers to Silk as QAP but the fundementals are still the same. I searched the downloads here and didn't find it. I will FAX it to you if you email me.

Larry Nick
    Sr. Programmer
    larry.nick@pyxis.com
    Cardinal Health