SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Runing Agent as a service

The NT Resource kit - Server edition has a utility to make install a executable as a service. It is called Instsrv. You can try that if you own the Resource Kit. If not, you can try surfing the net looking for a freebee utility that would do the same thing. I'm sure I've seen them out there before.

------------------
    Have you ever noticed? Anybody going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Runing Agent as a service

Has anyone done any work with the agent being run as a service?
    I've got a situation where an install test brings up a dialog after rebooting, but before any of the startup apps have been run. So, I can't run the agent from the registry's '..\Run' hive, and I can't add it to the startup group.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think so. See this similar thread for opinions and ideas:
    http://www.qaforums.com/Forum1/HTML/003644.html

I wonder if Segue has any plans to add this in the future?

------------------
    Tom
    Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I called Tech Support and got a good answer from them.
    I had tried creating a service, but was having problems getting the agent to stay running. The solution below has created a service that runs the agent. Although I haven't done any testing yet, the tech support guy didn't balk at the idea at all, and sent the tech document that's below.

PROBLEM
    ----------------------------------
    How to run SilkTest Agent as a Windows Service

ANSWER
    ----------------------------------

Requires WindowsNT Resource Kit 4.0

Using a number of tools supplied with Microsoft WindowsNT 4.0 Resource Kit you should be able to set up the SilkTest agent to run as a service and interact with the desktop. This will allow you to start and stop the agent from a host machine before disconnecting and reconnecting. This may be useful if you are running a large amount of tests remotely and would like to reset the agent.

To run this you will need to download and install the WindowsNT Resource Kit 4.0

1 - run the following command to create a service under NT

instsrv MyService c:\tools\srvany.exe

2 - Open Control Panel/Services, select the service you have created and select Startup to display the startup dialog box
    3 - Select Manual or Automatic to specify if you want to start the service or have it start automatically at boot
    4 - In the Logon box select "System Account" and check the box entitled "Allow service to interact with
    desktop"
    5 - Start registry editor by running regedt32.exe
    6 - Add a new parameters subkey to the following registry location

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\MyService\

7 - In the new Parameters subkey, create an Application value entry with a data type of REG_SZ, and specify the full path of the executable file for the application (including the extension). For example:

Application: REG_SZ: D:\Tools\Vi.exe

This will now create the service MyService which will be linked to the executable you selected. This can be started from Control Panel/Services or at the commandline with "sc start MyService"

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi,
    I am trying to run silk test agent as a service and i found the solution here. I downloaded the WindowsNT Resource Kit 4.0 but I dont see the file srvany.exe
    Where can I find it?
    Thanks in advance!
    mccs

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

srvany is just used as an example of a service you may want to create.

You actually want instsrv.exe
    Have you ever noticed? Anybody going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This utility is only available with the server edition

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, I got the srvany.exe from the server resource kit. I did every step mentioned above to make SilkTest agent as service.

When I try to start the service, i get the following message - "The SilkTestAgent service on local computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they have no work to do, for example, the performance logs and alerts services."

I have set the agent's network option as TCP/IP. What am i missing.
    mccs

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just did it without error. Did you do the registry settings?

Open up the Registry Editor (Click on the Start Button, select Run, and type REGEDIT) Locate the following key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\[service name]
    From the Edit menu, select New, select Key, and name the new key Parameters
    Highlight the Parameters key
    From the Edit menu, select New, select String Value, and name the new value Application
    From the Edit menu, select Modify, and type in the full path name and application name, including the drive letter and file extension

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have added the application key directly under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\MyService\

I mis-read the instructions [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Thanks... i will try this, it should work... thanks a lot!!
    mccs