SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how to trap the right click menus

I am stuck up on a problem, that thrugh the silk test tool i have to write a testcase (THROUGH WIZARD) in which i will have to capture menus which open up on the mouse right click.

the problwm is when the focus goes to other window these menus vanish.and hence silk test cannot trap such menus.

does anyone ever had faced such problem.
    do help.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: how to trap the right click menus

1. Manually activate the popup.
    2. Use a ListPrint() of Desktop.GetActive().GetChildren() to show all of the controls.
    3. Find the popup control and create a declaration for it.
    4. Use that declaration with a Print() of GetContents() to see the popups' menu items.
    5. Create these declarations for these menu items under the popup declaration.

Activating right-click popups and selecting a menu item using PopupSelect() is almost completely unreliable. Write your own right-click activate routine. Then follow it up with a normal menuitem Pick() command.

Note that the above sequence works equally to capture other transient controls such as tool tips.

John

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

According to my experience in most cases silk will not even see the context menus/ rightclick menus. hence you will have to pretty much do all the operations on them blindly, using the key board. for instance if you want to invoke a rightclick menu then you will create a declaration dummy for that menu and write all your methods for it prettymuch with key board or mouse click commands. you will move the mouse in the window where that context is defined then right click then blindly use key board up or down once you know that you have reached the specified menu item you will do a enter.

as far as testing of these rightclick menus is concerned you will have to pretty much click them and see if the desired action has take place or not. I don't think you will be able to get the contents of them. You can ask the developers to update the status bar when the selection of right click menu changees and then you can get the text of the status bar after navigatiing in the rightclick menu via keyboard.

but if you can get silk to recognize the context menu then you can go with John's method.

------------------

[This message has been edited by AUTOMATION_GURU (edited 06-21-2002).]

[This message has been edited by AUTOMATION_GURU (edited 06-21-2002).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hello all,

thanks for ur suggestions.

but as i am totally new to silk test still i am stuck.

I have never written a script manually .
    so pls guide me .
    can you give me the steps from the begining how should i start of with writing the first script, for getting items on right click.

regards,
    Suvarna.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hello all,

thanks for ur suggestions.

but as i am totally new to silk test still i am stuck.

I have never written a script manually .
    so pls guide me .
    can you give me the steps from the begining how should i start of with writing the first script, for getting items on right click.

regards,
    Suvarna.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Suvarna,

You should seriously consider calling Segue and signing up for their training classes. It'll be money well spent.

Silk is a powerful tool but you need some programming experience to get the most from it.

John

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for ur suggestion john,

will definitely consider that.

------------------