User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Record Testcases

Hi All,

I am fairly new to testing world and I have taken up testing a c/s application developed in VC++.

As adviced by some gurus, I started reading Segue's manual and walked myself through the entire process once.

It worked fine with a sample application called GMO in Silk but what I could not understand is that I keep working on one test frame named cstut.inc (named as suggested by Segue manuals)upto creating a test frame and then, once I reach "Creating testcase" step, Silk suddenly starts working on gmoc.inc instead of cstut.inc.

(This happens on page # 95 of Silk test: Getting started tutorial.)

Where does this .inc file come from and how do I generate it for my application?

I am all confused.

Please help!

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Record Testcases

Hi Parag,
    Do not get confused. Basically a .inc file contains GUI object decalarations of your applications. Also global variables can also be declared in this. When you recognise a window in Silk, it gets recorded in the .inc file. You can even see it by opening the file. Do not change anything in it until you are aware of it. You can test it by recognizing any window. While playing back a script, .inc file is read and agent works on the application.

------------------
    Manoj Jain
    (manojjain99@yahoo.com)
    Manoj Jain
    (manojjain99@yahoo.com)
    A highly advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try following Steps

1) File-New-Include file-
    2) Record window declartion- Capture ur application window - pointing by mouse and pressing Ctrl+Alt - save it to inc file-save inc file
    3) File -New 4test script file
    4) Record- Record Testcase-save
    5) Run Script

-amit

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Manoj and Amit.

Thanks for offering your help.

But I am still confused.

The step that I am talking about is "Configuring Silk test for recording a script file."

At this stage, Silk notes suggests that a user should change the "Use file" path from the test frame that he/she was working on (cstut.inc in silk notes case) to some frame named "gmoc.inc".

I also tried the work around suggested by Amit which returned following error -
    "smdp.inc(480): Window SampleMedianDiagramP is already defined at line 255."

Please help,

Parag

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The include files that you will use are set in Runtime\Options menu item. If your .t file has a use statement, then it will also compile whatever .inc file you state there.

------------------
    Have you ever noticed? Anybody going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hai Parag,

As u record the new frame file, The path in Runtime\Options menu item changes to the new frame file (.inc file).
    So if you want to run the scripts previously recorded, U have to change the path to the .inc file which is used by that script.
    So before running the script confirm that respective frame file path is specified in Runtime\Options menu item.

Hope this will help u.

Avi..

------------------
    avi..
    avi..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I typically leave the Use Files option blank in my Runtime Options. Instead I use "Use Path" and point that to the network location where all the include files are archived. Then you can enter a "use" statement in the script denoting which include(s) it uses.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you all so very much.

It was helpful,

Parag.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The disadvantage (there are advantages) of DJGrays method is that the objects in your test frame aren't automatically available when you do Record Identifier/Record Testcase/Record Actions.

------------------
    John W Green
    jwgreen@automationexpertise.com
    http://www.automationexpertise.com