SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Simple Question #4

What HTML tags can be added to the HTML source code in order to allow SilkTest to recognize objects using DOM tags?

Extra points: To what kinds of objects can these tags be added?

900 points to the best answer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Simple Question #4

ID or NAME attributes.

Objects: i.e. SELECT NAME="somePopup"

Silk will give this a DOM tag of "$somePopup" which you then can reference easily: BrowserPage.HtmlPopupList("$somePopup").Select("Bl ah")

[This message has been edited by geliopou (edited 06-20-2002).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by geliopou:
    ID or NAME attributes.

Objects: i.e. SELECT NAME="somePopup"

Silk will give this a DOM tag of "$somePopup" which you then can reference easily: BrowserPage.HtmlPopupList("$somePopup").Select("Bl ah")

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

900 points to geliopou

Someone who posts several ID examples can get 725 points.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is that a tag that is necessary or it is only to improve recognition but not necessary?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sometimes they are required, but other times optional, just to improve SilkTest recognition for for JavaScript, VBScript or DHTML coding.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm revisiting this topic because I have a question pertaining to this specific area.

Why doesn't Silk give a JavaApplet class a tag that corresponds to the 'NAME' attribute of the 'APPLET' tag?

The reason I ask is because in out AUT, which is rendered by JSP's, ALL of the applet tags have name attributes. Silk cannot see these as it does other basic HTML ccontrol in DOM.

When you record a dec for the page, it gives each applet a tag like this, "$canvas10". Well, this tag can change while under test to, lets say, "$canvas12" - depending on how many other applets are present on the page - and Silk loses control of it.

Anyhow, without getting into a long story....

I realize I could create some function that can determine the objects/classes on the page and return the appropriate tag, it would just be EXTREMELY less painful if Silk could see this NAME tag as it would a NAME tag for an HtmlTextField or whatever.

Is there a way to force Silktest to read this attribute and assign it to the class as it's tag?

Thanks.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

geliopou,

I am afraid I don't have an easy solution for you. You are welcome to use the function I created. That will take a little work off of you.

I never did find away to get different info as a tag from the GetChildren method. Doesn't mean I won't but it hasn't happened yet. I would have to bet that it is in the agent options.

My applet is different than I have seen used in most web apps. It really looks and feels like a client server window. The entire browser window is the applet and the controls are java controls that you would see in an C/S application.

If I find an answer I will certainly post it here for everyone.

------------------