SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Simple Question #3

Explain the benefits of using Runtime Options or an .opt file to specify a test frame, vs. leaving UseFiles blank and adding "use" statements in your test scripts?

800 points to the best explanation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Simple Question #3

If the use files is left blank then when you are doing RecordWindow identifier you might not see the recored frame name in the recorderwindow that might be because silk will only compile the frame file at runtime.

this won't cause any problems while running the tests because it gets compiled first and then scripts start running.

for example:
    if use files is not specified then in the recordwindow identifier you will see the window something like this

MainWin("NAME").DialogBox("DLGNAME").CustomWin("my Frame").CustomWin("[xyz]#1")

as opposed to if use files is specified

DLGNAME.myFrame.xyz
    notice :MainWin("NAME") is not there in the second one which means that the DLGNAME is child of NAME and it has already got resolved here, because of use files. as opposed to previous one where I think the the hirarchy is not resoled yet, it will get resolved at runtime though.

------------------

[This message has been edited by AUTOMATION_GURU (edited 06-19-2002).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A very simple reason why i would use option sets would be:
    1. for specifying agent options (its much easier to create an option set rather code these into ur scripts as headers)
    2. to specify runtime options. "Arguments" can be used for datadriven testing. theres no need to again code them.
    3. I use different option sets for different environment settings. For eg i might have to hit yahoo.com at one time and yahoo2.com at a different time. If i script this situation ill have to specify these again at the beginning of the .t file. And change the variable itself when i want to change the environment.
    I could instead create 2 option sets. And use the 2 settings from 2 different machines and still manage to run my scripts.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whola,
    One primary advantage is..
    1. If we use Runtime options or an .opt file to specify a test frame. The test frame settings (options settings) are independant of the test scripts. Meaning the same scripts can be used for a differnt options setting. All we have to do is change the option set file.
    2. But if we adopt the "use" statements in the test scripts then the test frame settings are hardcoded in the scripts. Meaning that the scripts cannot be used for any other options setting.

------------------
    never say die
    Life, that dares send, A challenge to his end,
    And when it comes say, Welcome friend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AUTOMATION_GURU:
    ... when you are doing RecordWindow identifier you might not see the recored frame name in the recorderwindow that might be because silk will only compile the frame file at runtime.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Although all the responses had good points and were interesting. this is really the best answer to the question.

Automation Guru wins the 800 points plus a 100 point bonus for a quick answer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are there any real advantages to using test frames or .opt files vs. taking control with 4Test?

John

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An option set is a copy of partner.ini with some things left out. When you open Runtime Options with an option set selected, you are changing settings in the .opt file, rather than partner.ini.

Option sets allow you to switch quickly between completely different settings without opening the Runtime Options, Agent Options, General Options and Class Mapping dialogs.

You can also distribute an option set to a team, assuring that everyone uses the same settings.

-------------------------------------------

The biggest advantage of using Runtime Options to refer to your test frame is that all of the objects in the frame are always "in scope", as AG said above.

Some teams don't do that, but prefer to have each script (.t) file have its own use statements, so the script loads the exact windows, functions, classes, methods, variables, etc. that it needs.

------------------
    John W Green
    jwgreen@automationexpertise.com
    http://www.automationexpertise.com