SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Silk\'s features and limitations?

I've a few questions on SilkTest and would be obliged if 'someone' could answer them:

1) How does the Test Plan feature in silk match upto Test Director? Which one is better for tracking and managing your scripts or suites?

2) Silk is integrated with PVCS. Which other Software Configuration Management tools can be integrated finely with Silk? How does one go about it?

3) What are the basic limitations of Silk one should be aware of before selecting the tool?

4) Finally, as a client, how should I go about accepting the scripts delivered to me?

------------------
    pbm
    pbm

AJ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Silk\'s features and limitations?

1) TestDirector is a much superior tool to any match. It has many features that no other tools have. It has Requirements, Test Planning, Test Execution and Defect Tracking in one tool!

2) No... There is limited integrations with SilkTest. Which also includes SilkRadar (By Segue)

3) I cannot tell you of limitations, the tools is an excellent one! The features would be:
    - Recevery System - Built In
    - Networked Architecture (Agent/Controller technology) that no other tool has. You can run multiple agents on different machines and control them from one controller.
    With WinRunner, you can do it with TestDirector, but you cannot execute logic when you do that. TestDirector does not run code, and you cannot program in it. While SilkTest you can connect to machines and disconnect by coding that in your script!
    - OO language, which gives you a lot of power in programming scripts!
    - Uses Window Declarations (WinRunner came out with the concept of GUI maps which is similar) Robot still does not adopt that architecture.

Bottom line, all tools are great! The issue is to pick one according to your spec.

4) I do not understand this one, maybe you want to elaborate.

Finally, I sent you a flame for contacting us via email instead of posting here! See now many people benefitted by having this post here, not just you.
    We do not provide a free support line for you only! If you want support from a single user to go to only you, I think you should pay for that. Hire a consultant! If you want to share your experience with others and visa-versa... Post here!

Also note that you could have searched the site 1st. There are 16,000 messages that probably discuss your issues many time!

All I ask from users is to read the guidelines and follow them. They are very simple rules... And If you need support ******ly which EVERYONE thinks they do... Contact the support of the vendors.

Getting free support has it's price too... one of which is you cannot expect IMMEDIATE solutions...

------------------
    AJ Alhait
    BetaSoft Inc.
    AJ Alhait
    BetaSoft Inc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Silk\'s features and limitations?

... and yet my experience has been that I get solutions here much more quickly than I do through "support."

------------------