SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which is the Best approch of writing Silk Scripts?

Hi! All

I used to script similar Testcases in one Test script- e.g- We have one User registration form- then i code similar scripts like 'Verifying Max length', 'Verify Data Type' etc for all text fields in one TestScript.

But someone Senior suggests that -Testscripts should be different for different objects whether objects r similar or not.
    e.g. All Testcases for Textfield 'A' in one script for another object different script.

Now what U say?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Which is the Best approch of writing Silk Scripts?

I think it's a matter of preference. Personally I like your way better. Has the Senior tester explained why he/she likes the tests organized the other way?

------------------
    Tom
    Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your method seems to be confusing and the purpose is unclear. Can you clarify what is a TestScript in your situation(library or testing script)?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GodKnows:
    Your method seems to be confusing and the purpose is unclear. Can you clarify what is a TestScript in your situation(library or testing script)?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good point. I was assuming that the question was about a script (a .t file).

------------------
    Tom
    Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tmason:

Good point. I was assuming that the question was about a script (a .t file).

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I am talking about '.t' file

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tmason:
    I think it's a matter of preference. Personally I like your way better. Has the Senior tester explained why he/she likes the tests organized the other way?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had similar thoughts, because it's hard to give a general answer to your question. How about this: In your version you have to change all your scripts if 'A' changes; in the Senior version you have to do so if the 'data type' changes. So, what is more likely to happen? Maybe this gives a hint.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

amitathawale, what I am getting from your question is:
    If there are 2 text fields on a page e.g. A and B and for testing them your senior is sugessting to use differnt script files (.t file) for both text fields i.e. one script file containing all test cases related to A and another containing related to B.

According to me it is better to write test cases for different purpose (length, data type etc.) and pass these text field names to them.

------------------
    Manoj Jain
    (manojjain99@yahoo.com)
    Manoj Jain
    (manojjain99@yahoo.com)
    A highly advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually if i was in ur place,
    i would decide from the size of the application.
    If the application size is huge (more tcs)
    then it makes sense to make seperate .t files
    Besides i would make seperate .t files for seperate modules rather than objects.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Black box and regression testing are mostly integration testing, I don't think you can test one text field in isolation.
    hence I would think the tests will be grouped based on the scenarios and these scenarios could be classified depending upon what data they require (assuming you are doing data driven tests) for example tests for one dialog can be kept in one t file so that the tests can use different datasets and same test can run for various different inputs.
    this is just an example of how you can decide the structure of files depending upon your approach.

Note: it is always better to segregate the core files of frame work from actual tests because of obvious reasons.

but my suggestion in your case would be to use .t files as per scenarios and not specific objects.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi amitathavale,
    Looking at it from a results and verification point of view....creating seperate scripts..
    1. It would be easy to identify all the problems with a single object. [Regression analysis}
    2. If there is a problem with any single script the remaining of the scripts would then continue to give you results as against a single script which would exit.

------------------
    never say die
    Life, that dares send, A challenge to his end,
    And when it comes say, Welcome friend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast