SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can we install agent as a service?

For regression testing I need to change system date at one PC. After testing I restore correct date/time from other PC using this code
    [ ] sSavedHost = GetMachineName ()
    [ ] DisconnectAll ( )
    [ ] machine = Connect (sHostMachine)
    [ ] SetMachine (machine)
    [ ] SYS_Execute("date ",lsOut)
    So I need available PC with running agent. I chose good one (always ON) and added agent to StartUp menu. But PC is in Log-off state most of the time running web server not Silk agent.

Any thoughts?
    Regards,
    Yevgeniy

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Can we install agent as a service?

You can't install the agent as a service. I would focus on getting that PC so that it doesn't log itself off all the time. It's probably in Power Options:

Start\Settings\Control Panel\Power Options
    (Win2000)

------------------
    Tom
    Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Instead of connecting to a different machine to find out the correct time, why not just use GetDateTime(), which tells you the current time on the host machine?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

to Tom:
    Thanks but that PC is log off intentionally most of time as Web server.

to Vince:
    I'm not able to use GetDateTime() at this host machine after I changed it myself

Thanks,
    Yevgeniy

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the registry add an entry in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Create a new string with any name you like. And for the value enter c:\Progra~1\Segue\SilkTest\Agent.exe

This will not run as a service, but will the agent when the application starts up.

Problem: Most of the time after logging off the system, the agent is shut down.

Another option would be to use a program like PSEXEC.EXE (part of PSTOOLS from Sysinternals.com) that will allow you to execute an application on a remote machine.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From Segue's tech support:

ANSWER
    ----------------------------------

Requires WindowsNT Resource Kit 4.0

Using a number of tools supplied with Microsoft WindowsNT 4.0 Resource Kit you should be able to set up the SilkTest agent to run as a service and interact with the desktop. This will allow you to start and stop the agent from a host machine before disconnecting and reconnecting. This may be useful if you are running a large amount of tests remotely and would like to reset the agent.

To run this you will need to download and install the WindowsNT Resource Kit 4.0

1 - run the following command to create a service under NT

instsrv MyService c:\tools\srvany.exe

2 - Open Control Panel/Services, select the service you have created and select Startup to display the startup dialog box
    3 - Select Manual or Automatic to specify if you want to start the service or have it start automatically at boot
    4 - In the Logon box select "System Account" and check the box entitled "Allow service to interact with
    desktop"
    5 - Start registry editor by running regedt32.exe
    6 - Add a new parameters subkey to the following registry location

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\MyService\

7 - In the new Parameters subkey, create an Application value entry with a data type of REG_SZ, and specify the full path of the executable file for the application (including the extension). For example:

Application: REG_SZ: D:\Tools\Vi.exe

This will now create the service MyService which will be linked to the executable you selected. This can be started from Control Panel/Services or at the commandline with "sc start MyService"

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

to jhvincent,

Thanks a lot, very usefull information.
    In my case I started use AtomTime98 from AtomTime.com (execute from command line and click OK for warnings).

Regards,
    Yevgeniy

------------------