SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Silk Test in India???

I am considering outsourcing some of my test work to a contracting firm in India. The firm indicates that they have highly qualified candidates, but not experienced silk test engineers. While silktest may not be the most popular testing tool, I do not believe that silktest is not used at all in this country. Awaiting comment.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Silk Test in India???

No It is not true, I have myself used SilkTest For quite a long time. I know many organizations making full use of Silk Tool.

I can see candidates with expereince level from 1 month to 3-4 years.

Point is that, In India Silk enjoys the same status as much as other tools, it is popular tool

If you need information on how and who uses it, do write to me

Govind/Pune/India
    Govind_b_kul@hotmail.com

------------------

[This message has been edited by Govind (edited 05-16-2002).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is true that Mercury's tools have greater visibility in India. They have aggressively marketed and made major headway into many consulting organizations ahead of Segue.

But the key thing is that most Indian companies are consultancies which primarily service the N American market. Which means that if Silk is the tool of choice there, you will most likely find a profusion of talent in that tool here.

Atleast in the test engineering team we have at our organization, the distribution is fairly even. What we dont have is are Silk- certified professionals.

Here's a question for you TestArch:
    I've been mulling over getting management to sponsor folks for certification programs. Do you suppose it would add value to a consulting organization to do something like that ? As a potential outsourcee, would it put things in a more favourable light if your outsourcer had such people ?

------------------
    - Suresh
    ["Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero!" -Horace]
    Suresh Nageswaran, CQA, CSTE
    Lead Consultant
    Kanbay Inc.
    Pune, India.
    sureshnageswaran@yahoo.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was working with a company in India who has 10-20 guys working on Silk Test. I remember when I joined that company many of them including me hardly knew what Silk Test Was. This was 2 years back. After our Pilot Project with a Good Client in U.S we recruited 10-15 of them and gave Silk Test Training. I dont work with that company anymore but I hear from them that there are lot of testing works for which they make use of Silk Test. Given the fact that Indian Professionals are very good in learning new technologies. I think over the years SIlk Test has become more popular (can see in many of the professional Testing Resumes).My own experience is that Silk Test can be quickly learned.

Cheers

------------------
    Reji Itteera
    Testing Engineer
    Reggie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Note that this is the personal opinion of one guy working on one project at one company with one company from India.

Several years ago, I was tasked with the automation of a mid-sized b2b web-app. I am Silk certified and personally automated test cases for half of the app. Management then decided to get a third-party company from India to assist with the automation effort.

The team overseas claimed to have ST experience. I wrote detailed coding standard docs and sent well-commented sample scripts. However, each batch of code that was sent back needed heavy review and often complete re-writes. it seemed that no matter how clear I thought I was, they just "didn't get it".

Also, they sent a representative to the states to mediate between the 2 "teams" (them...and me). He was fantasic. He would constantly clear up muddy issues and guide his team through unclear areas and concepts. However, the only direct contact I had with the team, itself, was emails, instant message conversations, and a weekly phone call. This made it very difficult to express my concerns and to field and answer their issues.

This communication bottle-neck combined with their poor code made my life very difficult.

I believe that a combination of a lack of communication and poor general coding practices was the key to failure. I don't think the break-down was with their knowledge of SilkTest. It's not a difficult package to master, especially if you have some basic level of proficiency.

In summary, I think that SilkTest expertise is a minor concern. Research the company carefully and ensure that they do indeed have "highly qualified candidates". Find out if they have worked on similar projects in the past and what was the outcome. Indian (or otherwise) contracting firms can be a very effective means of project supplementation.

[This message has been edited by Damian Synadinos (edited 05-17-2002).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi,

We are US based subsidiary located in India.
    We have experience in outsourcing and
    also in SilkTest. We are group of highly
    skilled professionals.

You can contact me at following for more info.
    nyemul@yahoo.com

[Niteen]

------------------