SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Test Custom Windows which is form of grid

Within our application we have a custom window which is in form of grid . There are a list of things in that window and I have to select one. I have tried identifing custom win as Table but it does not work...
    Can anybody please help me with this ??

AJ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Test Custom Windows which is form of grid

You have to find out what type of grid it is. Who makes it etc, ask the engineers.

If the grid is a RogueWave grid or a Stingray grid (same company) you can download the grid control EK stuff. The EK (Extension Kit) is a library of C++ source code which you need to purchase from Segue seperatly, then you need the engineers' help to write some functions to enable Silk to interact with the Grid, example [GetCellValue(), SelectCell(), etc]
    It's not a walk in the park, but it's doable. I've accomplished this in 2 different companies already and it's quite possible, but not easy like I said. the hardest thing is to get the developers' cooperation

------------------
    AJ Alhait
    BetaSoft Inc.
    AJ Alhait
    BetaSoft Inc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All

I think I have made it some what clear that I did NOT use the Segue Extension Kit to drive the Stingray objective Grid. I was able to do this effectively in my last job in a week. This seems like the right place to say why, and how.

The Extension Kit for a Grid does NOT eliminate the need for Development intervention. Usually what happens (I have talked to two people about this so it's not exhustive) is that Segue sends in consulting with the extension kit for a higher cost.(which I don't have a huge problem with)

The consultants confer with development and add some code in the Product to communicate with the Extension kit, and have development integrate it in. The code should be integrated off base foundation for the Custom Grid in question.

What you could do is simply work with development YOURSELVES and have an event handler for a reserved message like user + 1000 (it's simply a Win message that development would understand) that would wrap sending information for things like current cell of focus row & col return, content string return, and other simple primitive methods.

Each reserved message could do a specific thing:
    (1) User + 1000 == row & col return
    (2) User + 1001 == Content return as string
    (3) User + 1002 == Select row & column x,y
    :
    etc

The return information AFTER the sendmessage could either be placed in the Clipboard or shared memory segment (I have that in beta soft forums for strings and integers).

Alternately for action events like setting a cell of focus this information could be placed in the clipboard or mem segment by your methods, BEFORE you send the coresponding "action message".

Then you could write a class for handling this by doing higher level things by building off these primitive methods.

Example:
    asogwin.SelectCell(int row,int col)

which could wrap the Base primitive method to select a cell by placeing the x & y coords in the memory segment via:
    "{Str(row)}\r\n{Str(col)}\r\n"
    Then your developer would have a event handler to parse this info and select the coresponding row and column (like magic).

Since your sending messages synchronization is automatic (untill the action is complete on the APP side your Send message call will not return).

I Realize this approach is NOT for everyone, and that the work involved for QA is greater.
    I feel compeled to point out an alternative and relate the benefits I got back from the effort:

(1) It is cheeper and less intrusive if you do it at the base object level. Because you have event handlers trigger off messages that should not normally occur, the chance of introducing bugs into your app go down.

(2) Development works closer with QA at a level that they relate to and respect. It is not possible for development to think less of you after this exercise. In fact it almost always leeds to greater mutual respect.

That is my two cents for the last time on this subject. I hope a few of you try this it's not really all that difficult.

------------------
    "Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!"
    Sincerely
    Richard Weth
    Sr. QA Engineer
    mailto:rick_weth@yahoo.com
    phone(408) 487-3846

[This message has been edited by rick_weth (edited 12-30-1999).]

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!
    Sincerely
    Richard Weth
    Sr. QA Engineer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rick_weth:
    All

I think I have made it some what clear that I did NOT use the Segue Extension Kit to drive the Stingray objective Grid. I was able to do this effectively in my last job in a week. This seems like the right place to say why, and how.

The Extension Kit for a Grid does NOT eliminate the need for Development intervention. Usually what happens (I have talked to two people about this so it's not exhustive) is that Segue sends in consulting with the extension kit for a higher cost.(which I don't have a huge problem with)

The consultants confer with development and add some code in the Product to communicate with the Extension kit, and have development integrate it in. The code should be integrated off base foundation for the Custom Grid in question.

What you could do is simply work with development YOURSELVES and have an event handler for a reserved message like user + 1000 (it's simply a Win message that development would understand) that would wrap sending information for things like current cell of focus row & col return, content string return, and other simple primitive methods.

Each reserved message could do a specific thing:
    (1) User + 1000 == row & col return
    (2) User + 1001 == Content return as string
    (3) User + 1002 == Select row & column x,y
    :
    etc

The return information AFTER the sendmessage could either be placed in the Clipboard or shared memory segment (I have that in beta soft forums for strings and integers).

Alternately for action events like setting a cell of focus this information could be placed in the clipboard or mem segment by your methods, BEFORE you send the coresponding "action message".

Then you could write a class for handling this by doing higher level things by building off these primitive methods.

Example:
    asogwin.SelectCell(int row,int col)

which could wrap the Base primitive method to select a cell by placeing the x & y coords in the memory segment via:
    "{Str(row)}\r\n{Str(col)}\r\n"
    Then your developer would have a event handler to parse this info and select the coresponding row and column (like magic).

Since your sending messages synchronization is automatic (untill the action is complete on the APP side your Send message call will not return).

I Realize this approach is NOT for everyone, and that the work involved for QA is greater.
    I feel compeled to point out an alternative and relate the benefits I got back from the effort:

(1) It is cheeper and less intrusive if you do it at the base object level. Because you have event handlers trigger off messages that should not normally occur, the chance of introducing bugs into your app go down.

(2) Development works closer with QA at a level that they relate to and respect. It is not possible for development to think less of you after this exercise. In fact it almost always leeds to greater mutual respect.

That is my two cents for the last time on this subject. I hope a few of you try this it's not really all that difficult.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sincerely
    Richard Weth
    Sr. QA Engineer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rick_weth:
    [B]All
    ======================

Questions:-

1) does this work with getting Silk to recognize the "Lotus Notes" GUI layer ?

2) what do you think of tools such as Autoscirpter/Autoinferno which tap in the
    video stream and grab graphical objects from the screen, rather than using handles ?

------------------
    Charles F. Radley - CSQE
    Oregon, USA.
    Quality Control Analyst at Syntel Inc
    Project Test Lead for client Daimler Trucks - North America.
    Interested in testing dot net web services and SOA systems.
    Charles F. Radley
    Oregon, USA.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Charles

To try and answer your questions:
    (1) "does this work with getting Silk to recognize the "Lotus Notes" GUI layer ?"

I am at a disadvantage with the "Lotus Notes" Gui Layer (never used it).

I cannot possibly see how the answer could be NO. This is really such a simple technique that there really is no reason why you cannot use it. The bottom line from my point of view is how many Gui elements you have to use this technique with.

If it's only a few controls you cannot see like 3 or 4 and they are of low complexity no problem. If you have 20 or 30 you may want to talk with lotus notes and ask what they have used to automate testing.

Once you identify the control classes you have to come up with an interface with development. In fact you really should go to them with your question and try to get them involved, and excited (since they have to help make this thing work).

Try to keep the goals simple such as reading info from and writing info to a "**lotus notes text field" (assuming you couldn't remap that control to a standard text field).
    ** an example which I pulled out of thin air.

If the control is a large effort like a grid you will need to be able to do several things such as:
    (1) get row and column
    (2) Set Row and column
    (3) read cell of focus
    (4) write cell of focus
    (5) double click cell of focus
    ... etc

Work out in advance what you need to do. Try to reach an understanding with development before you put too much time in (cause they could always say no) and work out a simple communication mechinism like say the clipboard. (for transferring strings and numerical representations in a particular format).

Then YOU will have to create a class extension off CustomWin like so:
    winclass SogWin : CustomWin
    (this is what I used for Stinray Objective Grid)

Then everywhere the control appears from a recording you will have to change that custom win to SogWin (as in the example).

If you have some trouble getting started email me at rick_weth@yahoo.com and I will try and help (time permitting).

As for your second question about packages that grab screen info and xlate this to scripting information ... my gut reaction is BE CAREFULL.

See how well this package works in your environment. For some things like pc Anywhere or Cirix or WebTV (I seem to remeber a posting of that) this might be the best approach you can get.

But I am certain these tools will have some surprises built in .. esp when it comes to identifying controls and driving them reliably. If one of these tools works for you in your environment the answer as far as I am concerned is, THATS GREAT :-)!

But realistically I think the algorithms to OCR controls will have some local assumptions built in. These assumptions may fall apart in the feild. Much as I hate to admit it Segue does do a great job in reliably identifying and driving controls from day 1 to the last day you work on the product.

There I finally paid Segue a compliment!

------------------
    "Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!"
    Sincerely
    Richard Weth
    Sr. QA Engineer
    mailto:rick_weth@yahoo.com
    phone(408) 487-3846

Sincerely
    Richard Weth
    Sr. QA Engineer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To dparikh: I have written an article entitled "Using Object-Oriented Design for Testing Custom Tree Controls" and it is the March 1999 Segue.com (customer newsletter). In it, I describe my approach to testing a tree object, which in my case was grid-like. You can find it online at Segue's site, however, you will need your customer id to log in.

HTH,
    Cynthia