SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How good is SilkTest on Unix/Linux

We have java application.Right now we only run our scripts on windows NT/2000.Now we are planing to run on Unix/Linux.Preferaablly on Linux.If you guys had any experiences, please let me know how that went.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: How good is SilkTest on Unix/Linux

With a Java application you can use the silkbean to run your scripts against Unix/Linux. For that matter, you CAN use it to run on NT, although I'm not certain where there would be an advantage to that other than ensuring your scripts run identically on all platforms.

The bean is a little tough to get setup at first, but once you have it, it seems to behave fairly well. There are subtle differences in the way the bean works and the way the agent works. Off the top of my head I don't recall what those were, which tells me they were not significant differences, but I just recall that they were there.

So, by all means, go for it!

p.s. Do a search in this forum for "silkbean" and you will find discussions on setup and use of the bean.

------------------

[This message has been edited by DJGray (edited 06-06-2002).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Three negative observations about the silkbean.

1- For us it was painfully slow on Solaris (3x slower than the same code on NT/2000)

2- Doesn't support low level mouse stuff(MouseMouse etc). We automated Drag and Drop on NT/2000 but it won't work with the SilkBean

3- It's not really supported. We got some help from our Segue contact, but since they don't charge extra for it, they don't really support it.

The good news is that it basically works.

------------------
    Tom
    Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm having the same problem with Silk Bean on Linux 7.3 (launching from a 2K server machine). It will timeout before the java application has launched successfully (even after 300 seconds & the machines side-by-side). Seque has been out twice now but I have not gotten a workable solution yet.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What do you mean "it will timeout?" What is timing out?

------------------