SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fault trapping not working.

Silk refuses to trap a crash in my AUT's uninstall program. I have the fault trapping turned on for the GUI and the agent.

Is there anything else to turn on?

Is this feature very reliable?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Fault trapping not working.

What kind of fault tracking are you using?

I usually use do..except, and it works.
    There is one instance of Exists() condition where if my windows add duplicate reference silk will call for an exception(obviously a bug). Exists() should never return an exception. Then in the except clause add print(ExceptCalls(),ExceptData()).

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

different topic.

in the extensions enabler you can turn on fault trapping for specific dll's and exe's. you have to turn it on in the extension enabler for the gui and the enabler for the agent.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If your DLL is not raising any exception that Silk can catch, it does not work. Test yr DLL and then execute yr Silk script.

------------------
    Sree
    Sree

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still it doesn't matter what you do, do..except will catch the problem. It might raise exception at different script steps but it will be caused by your crash. Do you understand?

If your uninstall crash, and the next step is to click on something then an exception will raise.

quote from help "You can have SilkTest trap system errors (general protection faults)"
    Are you just relying on fault trapping system for error handling? You better have something else in place.

------------------

KS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To use do..except you have to know where to place it. With fault traping it is not an issue. besides after crash only thing you'd usually want is to move to the next testcases that 's what fault trap does.
    If your fault trap is not trapping exception it may not be pointing to the correct .dll or .exe which is causing it.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fault trapping is totally un reliable I have had bad experience with it so I don't go there any more and I agree with godknows you should handle everything within your scripts.

I handle such situations in testcase exit when ever and exception occurs it gets passed over to testcaseexit function as a boolean at that point you capture the screen recover to base state and go forward to the next test. If the crash has occured then just kill the app and proceed.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tend to agree. I never use fault trapping because I've found it more of a problem than a help.

KS, I have a template our team uses which places everything for each TestObject in a do/except. This way, anything that goes wrong with a particular test scenario will be caught by the except. If the individual code writers want to place other do/except routines within the do of the outer layer, that's fine, but the outer layer will still catch any exception that is thrown.

------------------