BMD
    Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

respond times

We are looking at different tools and Silk is one of them. I question for the day is how quick and knowledgeable is the user base with posted problems, and what was the learning curve like? Is the Silk helpdesk faster then the user base? For functional testing do you reply on record and playback or do you get in to the code level? Have you had many problems with Silk seeing objects on the GUI? How often do you need to use coords to click on an object on the GUI? If you could pick any tool what would you pick?

Thanks for your time,
    hope to be a new member.
    BMD.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: respond times

learning curve - steep
    Silk helpdesk faster then the user base - no
    rely on record and playback - no
    code level - yes
    problems with Silk seeing objects - sure, but most times there is a workaround
    need to use coords to click on an object - next to never
    pick any tool - SilkTest (biased forum)

Hope this helps

------------------
    Tom
    Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The user base varies. There are new people, like your self, and others that have been using Silk for 4+ years. User base can provide a place to start looking.

Learning Curve - depends on where you are comming from, and what the skill levels are. I was a VB developer and had no problem learning 4Test (the programming language in Silk). It also depends on how you plan to use the tool. We develope the scripts from code. No recording. This requires the members of the team to have good programming skills. If all you plan on doing is recording and play back, then anyone can create scripts.

Problems with Controls - I have only had problems with one control that I could not work around. The ActBar menu and tool bar control. Due to the way it was created, Silk can not interact with it. So to be creative, we use the corrisponding key strokes to selet items from the menu. (Alt F X). For the tool bar we had to use a combination of bitmap compare and position cliking to make it work. Took a lot of code, but it does work. However, chaning OS, and system colors require a little extra coding to handle the differences.

Which Tool - I have only used Robot and SilkTEst. Of them, for the application we develop, SilkTEst is the best solution. Each tool has good and bad. There is a document written recently (can search for it on this site) that covers some of the issues.

------------------

BMD
    Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

removed

[This message has been edited by BMD (edited 05-30-2002).]

BMD
    Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<<<<<<< posting I sent to a different site >>>>>>>>>
    We have spent the last four weeks in our test lab looking at the four main testing tool venders. Rational, Segue, Compuware, and Mercury (that was order they were in our test lab). I can's divulge the information from the "Request for Proposal" or the "Proof of Concept" just to say so far in our environment Segue is in the lead.

<<<<<<<<<< Latter >>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    We took an informal vote as to where the bank should go and we all picked Segue for both load and function test and the second pick was Compuware for function and Segue for load. We are not sure if management will allow and falling company to supply a needed testing tool. We are technical and we feel Segue is the way to go and offers the best tools. The decision has not been made yet.

<<<<< A reply from the other site >>>>>>>>
    Silk has long had some of better technology amongst the major tools, especially the mapping capability, which is something we had to create for ourselves in Robot. However, of concern to my company is the viability and stability of our vendors, and Segue is a troubled company.

<<<<<<<<< NEW >>>>>>>>>>
    How does your management feel about the stability of Segue? Are there selling points I can pass on to my management? Is the company size and stability a factor for your company, and has there size cost you any down time or lack of problems being looked at? I have used Rational Robot for the past 4.5 years and we are now looking to use the best SQA tool throughout the bank.

I want to thank all of you for your time!

THANKS,
    BMD