User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Data driven testing

Is there any better of doing datadriven testing other than Key word driven testing?

Is there a way to read the data from xml?

How do you guys tackle the data driven portion. Without being too vague, how do you store the data? and how do you retrieve it for the testcase?. what is the best way to do this without having to write layers and layers of functions for reading in the data and converting it in the right format? Is there any object oriented way. to store the data in a collection with name value pairr and then pass it to the test case?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Data driven testing

Hi,

If you are using Excel spread sheet then ...
    You can specify NAME, VALUE pair in
    columns.

What advantage does it provide by using
    XML. I feel comfortable with spreadsheet.

[Niteen]

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Silktest is an Object Oriented tool. You could create classes for objects or extend a class to include the data portion of the class.

This works very well. The only problem with it is if you want to change the data you need to change the code.

I tend to use Access as a datasource. Your users can maintain the testdata. (Create forms for them to enter and update data. Silk has very little problem getting at it. (Excel ODBC drivers are flaky). You can create dymanic queries to get at the data in the access tables the way you need it when you need it.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-----------------
    Silktest is an Object Oriented tool. You could create classes for objects or extend a class to include the data portion of the class.

Can you give an example for this?

I tend to use Access as a datasource. Your users can maintain the testdata. (Create forms for them to enter and update data. Silk has very little problem getting at it. (Excel ODBC drivers are flaky). You can create dymanic queries to get at the data in the access tables the way you need it when you need it.
    --------------------------
    do you have an example of the testcase? and how you read the data?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Silk provides good functions in making data driven test cases. You can connect to db and get the input data to be entered through UI. Youc an have plain text files and use GetFiled with FileReadLine functions to read data from a file with delimeters.

------------------
    Sree
    Sree

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You call your self "AUTOMATION_GURU" and you don't know, and asking here :-)

------------------

Thank you very much.

Thank you very much.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Come on guys, give him a break. Lets not slam anyone here. There are no dumb questions here. I have been known to ask some things that should be easy but I am too brain fried to figure it out.

Maybe he is just aspiring to be a Guru.

AUTOMATION_GURU, a good place to find some of this stuff besides here is the Segue site. Check out the news letter section. There is an archive link in there that has all the past online newsletters. In them there is a section on ideas and techniques for Silktest written by some of the best people in the industry. Download and read these articles.

Besides the Segue classes, this forum, and playing that is the place I go to learn some really cool stuff.

------------------

[This message has been edited by blacst (edited 05-30-2002).]

[This message has been edited by blacst (edited 05-30-2002).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For connecting to an access database go to the on-line help and type in DB Tester. There is an example of how to connect to an access mdb (or any ODBC complient database). There is quite a bit of documentation on this subject so have a read of that and come by and ask more questions if needed. It is a bit tricky the first time but once you have done it once it is very simple. I have attached a template for you.

Regards,
    Conor

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi,

i used in many times plain text or ini files.
    For some situation we use SILKTest to change in the production the data. For these we use plain text files and use "|" to seperate the the fields. I works very good.
    In some other situation a define an record and a function which read from an ini file the data. In these sitaution a can also write back posible result back to the file. For me it is helpful.

I hope it helps.
    Bye Ulf

------------------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast