User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mixing non-browser with browser testcases

Hi,

I've been going back and forth with Segue support on the following issue for over 3 weeks. They have been little help so I figured I'd try here.

I am testing a Java application, I am automating a large acceptance test that has about 100 test cases. About 5 of these test cases make use of the browser (used to verify the launch of jsp files), the others do not.

In the testcases that use the browser I usually do something like this:
    ANYTYPE btOldBrowserAny
    BROWSERTYPE btOldBrowser

btOldBrowserAny = SetDefaultBrowserType (explorer5)
    //type checking to workaround a separate silk bug
    if (TypeOf(btOldBrowserAny) == BROWSERTYPE )
    btOldBrowser = btOldBrowserAny

wIDE.Navigator.SetFocus()
    wIDE.Navigator.GotoNode("test.jsp")
    wIDE.Project.Run.Pick()
    verify(wTestJSPApplication.Exists(60), true, "verifying the JSP application launches in the browser")

When the verify statement is executed silk gives the following error:
    *** Error: Window Browser does not define a tag for Microsoft Windows 2000

The Segue support people have told me this is because I do not have a default browser set in my runtime options dialog. I don't want to set a default browser because then on all the other 96 test cases it will execute the Browser.WaitForReady() call in the DefaultTestCaseExit() routine. This will add 96 minutes to the execution time of the test which is not acceptable. Surely there must be a way to make use of the browser in a few testcases without having to specify a default browser.

Overriding the DefaultTestCaseExit() would cause other problems for the recovery system.

Does anyone have ideas on how to resolve this situation?

Thanks,
    Greg

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Mixing non-browser with browser testcases

I can't offer you a solution either but just wanted you to know that I came across a similar situation (testing a C/S app where just one window is a browser presentation of some XML file) and was lucky to find out that for this special testing purpose it was sufficient to record the browser window without(!) any browser extensions enabled - all the info I needed could be extracted. (I made the same unpleasant experience like you when I declared some default browser.) Since I am not that much into testing Java apps I do not know whether this is of any use for you.
    Would be nice to get some opinions on this issue from all the Gurus in this forum...

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Mixing non-browser with browser testcases

I am able to run the majority of my testcases against a C/S Java application and the remaining tests against IE 5. I don't have a default browser set and everything works fine. I remember having problems initially, but I got them all worked out somehow. I did enable the extention for Internet Explorer 5 IE DOM.

I have not tried to do any verify statements, so I am not positive that would work.

The declarations for my various browser are as follows:

I am not sure if this helps any or not. If there is any other information that may help let me know.

------------------
    Atlee

[This message has been edited by awhiteleather (edited 06-03-2002).]
    Atlee