SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

is it possible to include \'optional\' record fields?

here's the deal. i want to create a record data type which has four fields for example

type InfoData is record
    string sFirstName
    string sLastName
    string sAddress
    string sTelNo
    string sEmail

now i have the following functions that is called

EnterData (STRING s1, string s2, strings3, string s4, string s5)

EnterOptionalData (STRING s1, string s2, string s3, string s4, string s5 optional)

now with the use of the record type how do i make pass the parameters on enteroptionaldata(...) , can i just pass a null string?

thanks.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: is it possible to include \'optional\' record fields?

U can pass null string. Catch it with a select case statement. if optional is not null do something else ignore it.

------------------
    Sree
    Sree

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: is it possible to include \'optional\' record fields?

I think I have to answer your question thrice to save some bandwidth ... as I'm not sure whether your intention is to use the record contents as the source of the data for the functions, or whether your intent is to LOAD the record from the params to the function ...

As input:

type InfoData is record
    < your def >

InfoData myInfoData = {...}
    < some data assignments >

EnterOptionalData ( myInfoData.sFirstName, myInfoData.sLastName, myInfoData.sAddress, myInfoData.sTelNo, myInfoData.sEmail )

Now -- here's the key ... if myInfoData.sEmail is NULL, then so too will the final param to EnterOptionalData. You should be able to test it with s5.IsNull(). I didn't test the code completely, but you might even be able to check s5.isSet() inside of the function in order to know whether there is data there.

Now, if your question was how to "load" the record ...

Inside of EnterOptionalData() you would do:

myInfoData.sFirstName = s1
    myInfoData.sLastName = s2
    myInfoData.sAddress = s3
    myInfoData.sTelNo = s4
    myInfoData.sEmail = s5

In this case, sEmail will either have a value or be NULL depending on how you called the function. If you want to be "tricky" you could first test s5.IsNull() as above, then do some conditional assignment to your record contents.

Now, if all you're asking is how do code the call to EnterOptionalData() ... you can call it any of the following ways:

1) as above with the entire record
    2) omit the final parameter completely
    3) pass NULL as the final parameter

Does that answer your question?

------------------