User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

recording critertia in silk test

Dear all,

i came to know by default the recording of the silktest is based on coordinates. Is it possible to record based on any other criteria like matching the Text of any file while selecting in a file chooser.

Let me give an example:

When i record my application the generated testcase is:

[-] testcase dssfds () appstate none
    [-] recording
    [ ] <MyscreenTitle>.SetActive ()
    [ ] <MyscreenTitle>.Click (1, 353, 11)
    [ ] <MyscreenTitle>.Click (1, 354, 41)

When i record the TestApplication provided by silk test:

[-] testcase Test2 () appstate none
    [-] recording
    [ ] MainWin("Test Application").SetActive ()
    [ ] MainWin("Test Application").Minimize ()
    [ ]

How can i generate my testcase without the coordinates
    Thanks,

[This message has been edited by srisilktest (edited 05-21-2002).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: recording critertia in silk test

I am not quite sure what you are asking here? I think you are doing is taking Silk out of the box, "NOT" doing any window declarations and just using the record and play back feature.

If this is true, that would be the least effective way of doing automation. Silk will try to record your application but will most likely be forced to record X/Y coordinate clicks because it does not know very much about your application at this point.

It would be well worth your time to see how Frame and Inc files work and what power they will provide you in Automating your tests.

The inc files tell Silk what controls are there, what type of controls they are, and where they are located.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nope. According to me srisilktest wants to do some operation based on file selected in the File Chooser. srisilktest, please define your problem more precisely.

------------------
    Manoj Jain
    (manojjain99@yahoo.com)
    Manoj Jain
    (manojjain99@yahoo.com)
    A highly advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

srisilktest,

Silk is (in my opinion) the most robust automation tool available. One of the things I love about it the most is that you have almost COMPLETE control over how your script is structured and how it runs. If you want to use coordinates, you can do that. If you don't want coordinates, there are a number of other ways to accomplish what you are trying to do.

Personally, I rarely use coordinates. There are times when coordinates are very effective, but you must know the precise location of the object you are trying to manipulate. Again, the robustness of Silk allows you to know this.

As mentioned above, if you can state your problem a little more precisely, I'm confident you'll get the answers you need here.

------------------