User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Silk Test on Solaris

Hello folks,

I'd like to know if I can install SilkTest on a Solaris 8.6 system to test a software developed in Java.

Thanks.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Silk Test on Solaris

People,
    I'm sorry, I did not make my self clear. My problem is exactly to have an Agent which can be installed on a Solaris 8.6 and also interact with an application written in Java. I already have the structure ( including Windows controller ) set, but my Agent version only interacts with Motif. I just need to know if there is and what version of the Agent I can use.

Thanks to RobKapteyn

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rather than buy a Solaris agent to test Java, you can do that with the silkbean that ships with SilkTest.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Segue only provides a SilkTest "Agent" for Solaris. SilkTest is divided into two parts: (1) the main SilkTest application, which provides an editor, compiler, and runtime environment for your tests, and (2) the "Agent", which provides the link between SilkTest and your application. SilkTest can link to Agents both on your local machine or on remote machines through TCP/IP.

Therefore, to use SilkTest with Solaris, you must have the Solaris SilkTest Agent installed, but you also must have SilkTest installed on a Windows machine. Also, the Solaris Agent has not been updated for a long time, so you need to install an old version of SilkTest on the Windows machine to communicate with it.

So -- it is possible -- but not pretty. Making your testware dependent on Windows, when your developers are moving toward the open world of Java is not a lot of fun. Otherwise, it works just fine.

------------------
    Rob Kapteyn
    Rob Kapteyn, CSTE
    RobKapteyn@gmail.com