SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*** Error: Stack Overflow

I am using Silk Test 5.5 SP2 on Windows XP and I am getting ***Error: Stack Overflow when ever I run a script. The same script works fine on Windows 2K, Silk Test 5.5 SP2. Did any one saw this error and is there a workaround for this error.

------------------
    SG
    SG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: *** Error: Stack Overflow

Suresh,

WE have executed scripts on XP without any issues.

------------------
    Sree
    Sree

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Suresh! I'm getting stack overflows on XP as well. I have an .inc file with a single class as such...

first.inc
    ---
    private STRING firstString

winclass FirstClass
    property FirstString
    STRING Get()
    return firstString
    void Set(STRING value)
    firstString = value

Then I have another .inc file such as...

second.inc
    ---
    use "first.inc"

window FirstClass fc

winclass SecondClass

MyMethod()
    fc.FirstString = "something"

Finally, I have a .t file like this...

script.t
    ---
    use "second.inc"

window SecondClass sc

testcase MyTC()
    sc.MyMethod()

When I run the script, I get the stack overflow. I just started running into this and I'm not sure if it's XP-specific or not.

-Greg
    Greg
    ATX II, LLC
    You wrote [i]what</I] in 4Test?!?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gmajor:
    ... When I run the script, I get the stack overflow.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You will get an overflow with your code because you're returning the property FirstString from itself - an infinite loop.

Try this:

John

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gadagoju:
    I am using Silk Test 5.5 SP2 on Windows XP and I am getting ***Error: Stack Overflow when ever I run a script. The same script works fine on Windows 2K, Silk Test 5.5 SP2. Did any one saw this error and is there a workaround for this error.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    To locate the cause of a stack overflow set a break point near code that is looping.
    You can determine the correct location by checking the results file. Put the break point on the line just before the loop begins then single-step in to see where the code calls itself.

John

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

John,

Two questions...

One, is 4Test case sensitive? This is probably something I should already know (I assumed that it was), but I'm wondering now if it really is. The field name in my example uses camelCasing and the property uses PascalCasing. If 4Test can't tell the difference then I can see your point.

Two, if I declare the field in the class then it's not private (is it?). The only way I've found to make a field private is to declare it outside the scope of the class. What's the point in providing property support if the underlying fields are public?

Your example certainly works without throwing the exception, but I'm curious if I'm forced to name my fields something completely different than my properties (not differentiating by casing).

-Greg
    Greg
    ATX II, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find it helpful to use a consistent naming convention for properties and their associated variable. In my case I always name a property's variable the same as the property but with a leading underscore.

code:
    ---------------------------------------------
    STRING _sInstanceName

property sInstanceName
    STRING Get()
    if !IsSet(_sInstanceName)
    _sInstanceName = SettingsFile.GetValue("//automation_settings/config/instancename")
    return(_sInstanceName)

Set(STRING sInput)
    _sInstanceName = sInput

---------------------------------------------

- Jim

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

QUESTION 1: The best reference to "case sensitivity" in the online help index. Briefly, the names used for variables and windows are case sensitive. Contrary to that source however, the names used for methods and functions are NOT case sensitive.

I missed your lower-case variable definition that differentiated if from the property name when I keyed in your original example. ( Click on the "UBB code is" link on the left side of the reply screen to see more on how to retain original source code formatting when posting.)

QUESTION 2: Correct. The private keyword can only only applied to global variables. I too would prefer to apply the private keyword directly to class variable definitions. An I agree that it doesn't make much sense to both require a separate property variable having public assess AND force its definition to be relocated outside the class to obtain a level of protected isolation.

As to the last item, I don't think you'll have a problem here. For example, you can add a pushbutton instance labeled MyMethod and not incur a collision with the MyMethod() method.

John

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the reply, John. The help file is a bit, ummm... confusing, but we keep digging into it trying to find answers. Right now we're wrestling with several issues such as the Silk IDE crashing when we turn the Auto Complete feature on, learning the features (and limitations) of 4Test and mapping 3rd party controls. I'm confident we'll get everything worked out. Especially with the help of friendly folks such as yourself.

-Greg

PS: Thanks for the tip regarding formatting source. I will do more research before I post any more source code to the forums.
    Greg
    ATX II, LLC