SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

silktest will be hung on executing a command...

Hi all, thanks for reading this.

I am having problems using silktest to run a testcase that is setup to loop 500-1000 times. In this testcase it is to do multiple drag and drops of objects onto the work document in the target application.

what happens is after about 100 loops is that silktest will eventually just sit there trying to execute a command???

the application did not crash and silk did not crash but, in the runtime status window it shows that silk is trying to execute a command(in this case a typekeys command).

does silk have some memory issues?? or does the AUT have possible memory issues?...if this is the case is there a way to have silk track and trap memory issues??

the os is a clean install of win2000(I reimaged the OS before the silktest runs) with 256 RAM, 500 mghz.

anybody come across or have any ideas what the problem is???

thanks in advance,
    james

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: silktest will be hung on executing a command...

What kind of application? Windows, HTML or Java? Most likely the AUT has the problem especially if its built on Java.

John

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sorry should have mentioned that the AUT is a windows app built using delphi and C++.
    I talked to couple other testers and they are suspecting memory leak in the AUT...

I also noticed some other odd behavior while this testcase was executing.

When I went to look at the TaskManager(using ctrl-alt-del)..it did not open, I could not get the shutdown dialog as well. When I went to click on the 'start' button..the start menu items were either all gone or I would only get maybe two items drawn???

sometimes the explorer(not IE) would not open as well or I would get odd behavior such as not being able to open a drive(c or d drive) or no menu items would be visible on it???

possible GDI leak???

if this is the case is there some functionality to track this???

thanks all for the help so far...great the way info is shared...

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does sound like a display resource problem. If you're running on NT or better, then you can use Task Manager to observe GDI objects used by a process, which might help in debugging.
    P.S. Never seen a problem with silktest using up display resources, so I suspect it will be your app.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Silk definitely has some memory problem.
    Sometime it sees items and sometimes it doesn't. It's possible that silk has it memory stack corrupt.

To prove your theory manually do the test case(it might be a pain) but it will pay.
    Run your app using the debug mode using whatever dev soft this app is written with if you can. If you see this happenning consistently call Segue support.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dollar to a doughnut, it ain't Silk. :-)

One way to find the culprit is to print a SYS_GetMemoryInfo([your app],WORKING_SET) every 10-count or so in the loop. A good application won't continue to ask for more and more resources; a leaking one always wants more.

Another quick way would be to insert a Minimize(), Sleep(1), Restore() block in a similar 10-count loop. You'll likely see the original 100-count limit go quite a bit higher.

IIRC, BoundsChecker is one memory leak tool that works well with C++ applications. Interpretation of its results will likely take an engineer familiar with the AUT in question.

John

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

awesome feedback..thanks all.
    I have my nose pointed in the right direction now
    I did do a manual drag and drop and I did not have to do to many as I watched the app use more and more memory both in memory useage and GDI objects...so I do believe the AUT is being a memory pig

one note though..in observing the behavior of silktest when memory is being used up, it seems to just want to stop executing when memory is being used up on mass...has anybody seen silktest act like this???

I guess it is safe to say that when the memory is being used up no application is going to remain stable and functionality will be compromised. would this be a correct assumption??? or maybe silk does have memory issues...I guess what I am getting at..can silktest be trusted when it comes to tracking memory issues, how much memory does silk require to execute itself when it is driving an application???

thanks all for your feedback,
    any more comments on this...

------------------