SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

benefit of having your own license

Question for consultant types: Given that your clients would have to have their own license(s) to run SilkTest scripts, how much benefit is there to having your own license? If you have your own license, has it helped you to land jobs?

Just curious. I have been considering going out on my own if something were to happen to my current position.

------------------
    Tom
    Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: benefit of having your own license

Hi tmason,

Good question for consultants although strange. According to me, it will be helpful but totally depends on company to company. Some might prefer this, some might not.

------------------
    Manoj Jain
    (manojjain99@yahoo.com)
    Manoj Jain
    (manojjain99@yahoo.com)
    A highly advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most, but not all, of my customers have been somewhat paranoid about consultants having legal claim to any part of the equipment or licenses being used on their site. It opens a legal can-of-worms for them.

In my opinion, it also opens you up to potential legal problems -- if you take away your license when you are done -- they might not be able to run the testware anymore. If they can't -- do they still need to pay you ? Also, if someone at the client site violates the license, Segue can come after YOU for the violation.

If a customer ever wants to see what SilkTest can do before they buy, I have found that it is relatively easy to get a 30 day trial license from Segue.

I have heard some talk that Segue might have changed this policy recently however.

------------------
    Rob Kapteyn
    Rob Kapteyn, CSTE
    RobKapteyn@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Rob - appreciate the advice.

------------------
    Tom
    Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Couple of options here.
    You could sign on as a Segue SilkElite partner and then you will have access to licenses for their different products to keep up your skills. But these licenses are not for you to use at a client site in place of the client buying a license. They are for you to use to demo the products and to keep your skills sharp.

If you don't want to enter the program yourself, you could join a consulting organization that is already part of the SilkElite program and get access that way too.

------------------
    James Soderborg
    http://www.ameliortech.com
    jamesso@ameliortech.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks James-

I was thinking in terms of demos mostly, and to stay current. I'll do a little research on the SilkElite program.

------------------
    Tom
    Tom