SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

scripting the microsoft office products using silktest

Can anyone help me out, I am trying to automate the Microsoft Office products like "Binder, Excel, Access, Outlook, PhotoEditor, PowerPoint and Word" using SilkTest. The SilkTest doesn't capute most of the events, the general error is 'window is not active'. I also Un-Checked the check box for 'Verify that windows are Active' in Options/Agent.
    Appreciate for a very good guidance. Thanks.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: scripting the microsoft office products using silktest

search on old posts. it's been covered many times.

quick answer. it doesn't work very well. look into using vba.

------------------

Most of the controls on Excel and other office products won't be recognized by silk!!

to get around this problem you will have to use low level mouse and key board events and shortcut keys.

THe documensts and worksheets will have dynamic tags so when a document or work sheets gets saved the captions and hence the tag will cange. so you will have to create these tags dynamically. Once you have the tag you can identify that object and then do what ever you want to do with it for example setactive close and stuff like that. You will have to create close methods for worksheets and documents otherwise silk might endup closing the app itself fi the docs or worksheets are maximized so you will have to restore and then close them.

The bestway to work in Excel would be to write macros and have them do the work via silk this way it will be faster and more reliable.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BrianCarroll's point:

Use VBA.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've always found this amusing. If the MFC is so great, why don't MS use it for their own products. Hmmmm!

Paul

------------------
    Paul Tucker
    Merit AT
    www.merit-at.com
    Paul Tucker
    Merit AT
    www.merit-at.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ptucker:
    I've always found this amusing. If the MFC is so great, why don't MS use it for their own products. Hmmmm!

Paul

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So they could implement the same Office code on a Mac, Microsoft built their own compatibility layer for postions of the product.

------------------
    - Joe (strazzerj@aol.com)
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!