SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ChkLink vs HtmlLink

Recently started using 5.5 and am seeing something I've not encountered before. Maybe it was in 5.0.3.2 and I just never ran across it...

I have a footer on all the pages of this site I'm hitting and when I record decs on it I get a bunch of ChkLink class links. However, upon running the scipt Silk cannot find these because it is seeing them as HtmlLink class objects.

What's the difference, and why is silk unable to stick with one or the other?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: ChkLink vs HtmlLink

That's a new class to me. Can't find any reference to it in any of the SilkTest files, either.

So I have to ask a stupid question: is ChkLink a class that you've created based on the HtmlLink class of object?

- Dave

------------------
    Amelior Technology
    dreed@ameliortech.com
    WaltzingRhino.com
    A concerned Borland customer, a fly in the ointment, a wrench in the works.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a feeling this is a class you created. If you don't add the following switch to your class declaration, the recorder will use the custom class:

setting DontInheritClassTag = TRUE;

------------------
    Have you ever noticed? Anybody going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, at least I don't feel completely ignorant since you've not heard of it either. I didn't create this class, and I'm the only automator here, so I'm not certain where this came from.

Do me a favor, however, if you would...

In 5.5, open the Library Browser and select the Methods tab. Scroll down almost a quarter of the way and find HtmlLink. See if there is a ChkLink under it. My install has this, and I haven't a CLUE what it is or where it came from.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My 5.5 SP1 installation does not show it. Hmmm... very strange.

------------------
    Have you ever noticed? Anybody going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't see it in the 5.5 SP2 [964n] online help or library browser. I grepped through various file extensions in the SilkTest prog dir and saw no reference to it there, either. I guess you have recursively grepped all your .inc files for possible references? (That would be too easy!)

AG

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do I locate and remove that class then? I'll try to figure it out, but if there is a quick and easy answer, I'd love to see/hear it.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I gather you have something like

winclass ChkLink : HtmlLink

in your .inc files somewhere. You probably want to go there and see if there's something of interest defined in ChkLink -- if so, you probably don't want to get rid of it.

You may want to preserve your ability to declare some of your windows as ChkLink and some as HtmlLink (especially if something in ChkLink *overrides* something in HtmlLink or one of its parents, as opposed to just adding to it). In that case, make sure you have no global class mapping going on (Options - Class Map, or the [HtmlLink] specifer in a tag statement for the ChkLink class), and make sure that in the window definition of all the ChkLink windows, you include the [HtmlLink] class specifier in the tag, so playback will resolve the tag correctly.

If on the other hand, you think that you will encounter no HtmlLinks that aren't ChkLinks, then just put in the global class mapping, and declare all windows to be of class ChkLink.

A guess -- possibly someone else wrote some of your .inc files, and they had a setting in Options - Class Map that you don't have? Or maybe you had the setting in your 5.0.3 setup, but lost it when you upgraded, because you wiped all the files from your program directory, or changed the program directory path/name? That could account for why your stuff doesn't run any more. But that's just a guess. Shrug.

AG

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whoa!!! See, this is why I love this forum!

Good grief! I'd forgotten all about this. Years ago I was testing an application with HTML links that were not underlined and Silk 5.0.x.x could not recognize them. Wrote this winclass ChkLink to extend HtmlLink to deal with them and I've not had to mess with such links again till now almost 3 years later. Looks like 5.5 can deal with those links just fine.

Wow. How quickly we forget!

------------------