SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Silktest: good gui or backend tool?

I was asked in an interview recently: Is Silktest a good GUI tool or a good back end tool? Why?
    Any ideas?
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Silktest: good gui or backend tool?

I would say your interviewer was either as cunning as a fox - or has never seen SilkTest!

Paul

------------------
    Paul Tucker
    Merit AT
    www.merit-at.com
    Paul Tucker
    Merit AT
    www.merit-at.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Sounds like a pretty reasonable question to see if you know anything about Silk.
    How did you answer?

------------------
    - Joe (strazzerj@aol.com)
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mainly it is a GUI tool, but it can do a lot of back end testing. The user just has to write code (in 4Test).

Now if the backend means testing Java API's, then it is not really suited for that.

------------------
    David Genrich
    david.genrich@e2open.com
    david@linuxpuppy.net

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would answer:

This is definitely a tricky question to see if you really understand the difference between gui testing and non gui testing. This question is not well presented but, legitimate. I would ask what he meant by back end(non-gui testing or back end worker like cgi-perl combo, or just like command line works)Basically Silk doesn't have the better of both world.

It depends your definition of "back end".
    Silk can only perform simple/easy back end stuff, and not as strong as PERL or C for backend work(for example Silk doesn;t do regular expression very poor at string manipulation). Silk is not designed to be your server side worker. Silk is created for GUI testing primarily, and definitely a one of the best on the market.

Why?

1)Many ppl use it:P
    2)It offers many gui detection or compatibility, and offers tool to let you customize your own gui detection.
    3)Simple to use editor, quick to learn.

I guess as long as your explanation was logical, and reasonable, then it should be ok. But definitely Silk is not good in both. Just Good for Gui, soso/ok for back end.

------------------

[This message has been edited by GodKnows (edited 04-10-2002).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SilkTest was primarily designed to be a GUI tool, but its object-oriented nature lends itself to background testing too.

I have testcases that can be run against either the GUI or the "background" -- it only depends on which "test harness library" I "include".

I slightly disagree with the statement,
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GodKnows:
    (for example Silk doesn;t do regular expression very poor at string manipulation).
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think SilkTest's basic string libraries are just fine. It would be nice if Silk had a few more ready-made functions, but the building blocks are all there and work well.

I have written a number of custom string manipulation and pattern-matching functions and have found them to be quite a bit faster than Perl. (and easier to use)

------------------
    Rob Kapteyn
    Rob Kapteyn, CSTE
    RobKapteyn@gmail.com