SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to enable browser extension through testscript?

We are testing a windows application, which generates HTML files,

We need to open the windows application, generate HTML file, open browser, open HTML file, close browser, work on the windows application.

We want to open the browser extension through the script so that I can use the recovery system of the Windows application, instead of browser while running the test script.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: How to enable browser extension through testscript?

I don't think you can do this from within the script itself, however I can think of two ways of getting around the problem.

Firstly, if you are using Test Plans, you could use the optionset keyword to first set the frame and extensions that are used when the browser is to run. Then, when you come to the windows part, change the optionset to use a frame and options for the windows app.

If you are not using Plans, you could run with the browser extensions active but extend the recovery system (using BaseState) to start your windows app and set the initial state. Either way should not be too much work.

Paul

------------------
    Paul Tucker
    Merit AT
    www.merit-at.com
    Paul Tucker
    Merit AT
    www.merit-at.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

from what i understand...
    u need to enable the extensions first before running the testcase,

then u need to change the default browser type from first "none" to say "IE" and then from "IE" to "none"...at runtime (am i right?)

well u could do this by the "SetBrowserType" function.

hope it helps
    aatish

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Paul,

Your second solution can work, but we already have many testcases developed for this application. Now if we enable the browser extension and create a appstate, this test script will not work with other existing test scripts which are based only on the Windows application test frame file.

That’s why I was looking for any solution to enable browser extension in Run Time. Something like inserting a statement like
    use “browser.inc” in the script.

Regards,

Prasad

[This message has been edited by Prasad (edited 04-09-2002).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even though you already have tests that do not use the browser, you should still be OK if you enable the browser extensions. When you enable the browser extension SilkTest will start the browser. What you need to do then is make sure that defaultbasestate resets your windows application as well. If this is done by defaultbasestate then any additional appstates you have defined should be fine. The only this that should change if you do this is that your tests will run with the browser in the background.

Paul

------------------
    Paul Tucker
    Merit AT
    www.merit-at.com
    Paul Tucker
    Merit AT
    www.merit-at.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been working with an app just like this for over 2 years. My main app is a Java client app but I also need to do some things (primarily verifications) in a browser. Below is a rough idea of how I implemented it.

- I defined my own BaseState by starting with a COPY of DefaultBaseState (from defaults.inc in Silk install directory) for a no-browser install then tweaking it as my client app needed. [This sounds a lot more complicated than it really is.]

- Every testcase that starts with our Java client app MUST specify "appstate BaseState". We currently have NO testcases that start in the browser, so "appstate DefaultBaseState" or omitting the appstate clause altogether (thus it will default to DefautlBaseState) is not something you will find anywhere in our script files. Not a big deal being that it's good programming practice to explicitly state things such as the appstate.

- We install Silk WITH browser support. This means that if I do nothing to the recovery system then DefaultBaseState assumes that my main application lives in a browser, which is not the case. This is why I had to develop my own BaseState for my client app. And I let DefaultBaseState remain in tact just in case we want/need to use it against the browser.

- Every Silk installation has IE extensions enabled (for Agent and SilkTest) by default, with IE selected as the default browser on the Runtime options dialogbox. I control this by providing a controlled partner.ini that gets installed as part of setting up a machine from a ghost image (straight from my QUEST 2001 presentation!).

- Once a machine is initially setup, the only time anyone even thinks about browser extensions is if they want to switch from IE to Netscape or visa versa.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hai.

i think what paul suggested is right.set the browser extn initially and close it in the defaultbase state.write an app state to invoke the browser for relevant testcses..i hope this works fine...

regards

dhanunjay

------------------