User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tutorial on SilkTest

Hi All,
    I want to know how easy (or how tough) is it to learn and use SilkTest in terms of time and effort. I have no experience in using testing tools, but have considerable experience in testing and in coding in C and Java. Are tutorials or evaluation copies available on the net? I could not find any. Please help.
    Thanks in advance,
    Nikhil

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Tutorial on SilkTest

If you can code in C and/or Java, you can code with Silk & 4Test. It is just another language, and is really a very "forgiving" language. The syntax is straightforward and all the routines you would use in Java/C will apply and work with 4Test. The things that will throw you for a loop for a bit are the GUI/Tool specific functions; getting it set up to run in your environment, etc. Once you have that, but tool is robust and potent.

Good luck.

------------------

[This message has been edited by DJGray (edited 04-02-2002).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi,
    I am unaware of any trial downloads.
    You may try with www.segue.com and ask
    their support.

If you can code in C, Java it should take
    you a two-three weeks to get familiar with
    programming in 4Test.

-Niteen

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the replies.
    I can not find any trial downloads on the net or at www.segue.com. If I buy the software from Segue, how do I go about learning 4Test? Does the software come with sufficient documentation.
    I have come across many courses that are available at many centres. Are there any tutorials or materials available on the net. If its not a big trouble can someone please send me any available material on this at nk159@hotmail.com
    Thanks,
    Nikhil

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When you buy the software, they will give you a tutorial as part of the package. The best way to learn is to attend a training class and when you are finished with that, just dive into it. Practice using several 4Test functions on your AUT. Try and create some of your own functions, custom class's, etc... If you want maintenance free scripts, stay away from record and playback. Visit this forum often and post specific questions on what your having problems with. Read as many articles as you can on Test Automation philosophy's.

------------------
    Have you ever noticed? Anybody going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac.

plu
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speaking about tutorial, I have a peculiar problem.

I'm trying SilkTest 5.0.3 Web Tutorial on http://gmo.segue.com/. Silk couldn't recognize the object names defined in gmow.inc. That is, although it can give you the generic name Like BrowserPage.HtmlImage("#1|$0"), it can't show GMO.Logo (see tut page 51) after I include it in User_Files. On the other hand, it can use extend\explorer.inc well, i.e it shows Browser.Home, Browser.Stop, etc..

I did exactly the same thing on other computers, it works fine. I just couldn't figure out what's with my NT computer. Any clues?

Thanks

------------------
    Peter
    plu@rsasecurity.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can get a trial version only by contacting Segue so they can put you in touch with the sales person for your area.

4Test is a hybrid of function and object-oriented design. Very streamlined. There are no pointers, no garbage collection, no multiple inheritance, no friend relationships, no virtuals, no Java-like interfaces. STRING is a built-in datatype and uses the array-subscript notation -- I suppose that under the covers Segue is probably implementing it as a dynamically-allocated char array. ARRAY and BOOLEAN are other built-in types of interest. The compiler is very simple -- just saves object files and, with only an occasional error, links them. No executable image is produced -- SilkTest is its own runtime environment. There are no compiler switches, no preprocessor directives, no DEFINE statements (although there are compiler constants). There are enums and records. With your knowledge of C and Java, the language itself will take you no time to learn. Even the debugger is intuitive if you've used MSDEV or something like that.

But learning the whole tool -- how to set up your include files, how to structure your tests and testplans, deciding how to set up your machines -- that will involve considerable rampup time. If you're testing with multiple browsers, or testing ActiveX controls or Java applets, or doing distributed testing, or testing with lots of custom controls, that'll take even longer. If you need to call into dlls, and maybe even write the dlls themselves, that'll take longer, too. Because just writing the test scripts is such a slow process, we usually figure that our QE people will take a whole year to get fully up to speed (although admittedly we have a monster AUT).

What I've noticed is that training is best done by beginners. If you're going to pay for formal training, I'd say do it now; don't wait 6 months or you'll already know some of what they're teaching, and you'll already have set up your files and machines differently than the trainer suggests. It's highly customized.

AG

------------------