User Tag List

Wil
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Main Window tags not recognized

Our main windows contain the window name plus an object number, Example: "Purchase Order 3600". The object number is assigned when the user creates the object. Since the object number is dynamic we use wild cards, Example "Purchase Order*".
    However problems occur when we have two similar windows.
    Purchase Order: "Purchase Order*"
    Purchase Order Lines: "Purchase Order Lines*"

If these two windows are open at the same time Silk Test has a problem distinguishing between the two since "Purchase Order*" is technically the same as "Purchase Order Lines*".

I have tried specifying a unique child control for the tags but I keep getting the following Silk Test error "Error: Window type mismatch - Expecting a top-level window or MDI child window"
    Modified Declaration:
    [-] window cPO PO_General_Information
    [ ] tag "Purchase Order * - General Information/[DialogBox]$59648/[PageList]$23203/[DialogBox]$0/[TextField]$180/.."

[-] DialogBox Tabs
    [ ] tag "[DialogBox]$59648/[PageList]$23203/[DialogBox]$0/[TextField]$180/.."
    [ ]
    [ ]TextextField Title
    [ ] tag "$180"

Original Declaration:
    [ ] tag "Purchase Order * - General Information"

[-] DialogBox Tabs
    [ ] tag "[DialogBox]$59648/[PageList]$23203/[DialogBox]$0"
    [ ]
    [ ]TextextField Title
    [ ] tag "$180"

Any suggestions or alternative methods?

Thanks in advance.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Main Window tags not recognized

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wil:

Modified Declaration:
    [ ] tag "Purchase Order * - General Information/[DialogBox]$59648/[PageList]$23203/[DialogBox]$0/[TextField]$180/.."

Original Declaration:
    [ ] tag "Purchase Order * - General Information"
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

looks like you are referring to the wrong window in the modified tag for PO_General_Information. the '/..' syntax indicates you are referring to the object one level up in the tag, i.e. [DialogBox]$0. I don't know that you can refer to a child of a child in a declaration like that. I don't have an answer for you, sorry.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You could use GetHandle() on the window you know is your main window, and after using SetActive(), see if the correct window is up by comparing it's handle.

It's not going to be easy, but, with 2 windows with similar captions, might be necessary.

------------------
    MMcCorkle@Corillian.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If the purchase order is always a four figure number, then it might be worth changing your tag to "Purchase Order ????", because each ? is a wildcard representing exactly one character. That should distinguish it from "Purchase Order Lines*" successfully.

If you really can't get round the problem, you could try asking your developers to change the captions. Just a simple change (pretty much negligible as far as the user is concerned) such as changing "Purchase Order 3600" to "Purchase Order: 3600" would solve your problem.
    Of course you have to a decent supply of developer goodwill for this to have any chance of working.

------------------

Wil
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for everyone's comments/suggestions.

Brian - thanks for clearing up the issue with the '/..', it makes sense now.

Mark - thanks for suggesting tracking window handles. I had thought of this before but your right it wouldn't be easy especially considering the size of our application and the amount of objects that are similar to PO and POLines (ex. Invoice & InvoiceLines etc.). Some of our test designs are quite involved and tracking window handles would be a nightmare. Hopefully this method can be avoided.

Vince - thanks for your suggestion. I like your idea of getting the developers to change the captions but I'm sure that will be next to impossible (but it's worth a try).
    Unfortunately the Purchase order number can be any combination of up to 20 characters (numbers or letters). I guess one option would be to see if I could implement, within QA, a standard that PO name be 'x' characters long. Therefore I would be able to change the tag and use ? for each character.

Any other suggestions are welcomed.

Chris

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you can get the PO number, make the tag a variable.
    [-] window MainWin MyWindow
    [ ] tag "Purchase Order {GetTagName()}"

[-] STRING GetTagName()
    [ ] ...
    [ ] return sName

------------------