SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Estimation technique for the Silk scripts?

Is someone aware of any estimation technique for the time required for writing Silk scripts
    What i am thinking is something like if we have "n" as number of screens in a test cases (assuming there is one to one mapping between Test cases and the script ) then the time required is something like n(n+1) in minutes.
    This time includes debugging as well as unit testing for the script
    I am not sure if this formula works but just popped in my mind....
    Any more ideas would really help!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Estimation technique for the Silk scripts?

I don't think any estimation techniques will be very accurate until you have some experience and a history to examine. I started out by using the touted "It takes 3-10 times longer to automate a test than to run it manually." For various reasons this was way off base in most cases. By the time you put in all the error checking and validation (assuming it isn't trivial) it can easily take longer than 10 times the manual run-time.

If I was doing it all over again, I would probably use a difficulty factor scale based on the length of the test, setup steps, the number of verification points, and the output required. You probably also need to consider the amount of new work vs. the amount of reuse in the equation.

If your screens all require a similar amount of work to automate, the formula you presented may work quite well and it would be a lot easier to calculate.

------------------
    Atlee
    Atlee

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Estimation technique for the Silk scripts?

since test automation is a software development effort you may want to consider COCOMO or cyclomatic complexity.

------------------