SPONSORS:

User Tag List

How does ST and QA profession affect the person

How does software testing and QA affect a person? after keeping doing the testing for a long time does the approach towards other things change? I mean the way you look at things etc. Is it even a valid question?
    after you keep finding defeacts does it have any positive impact on your brain so that if you do other more creative things(tangibly creative making something) will that creation have less defects?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: How does ST and QA profession affect the person

Either you'd make less mistakes, but notice them more, or make more mistakes but dip into a lifetime of hearing excuses to cover them up.

------------------

KS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

" Doing a good job in QA is like peeing in a dark suite. You get a warm feeling but no one else notice "

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

jb - good question....btw I believe I am one of your co-workers.. Jim from LS QA

To me personally, I treat QA as a way of thinking, and yes I carry this way of thinking with me outside of work. I certainly don't look at it as anything other than a positive thing. The only thing I find that I need to be carefull of, is being a little too critical of other's work when in a non-work environment. For instance, I am part of an online gaming community and by nature, I tend to be overly critical of things like, how our "matches" are played, the website/BBS is designed, etc. I just remind myself that I'm not at work

As for your last question regarding your own development and what effect your "QA mentality" will have on it. I am a firm believer in that the developer is NOT the best person to test their own work. Still, I do believe that having a QA background would definately make a developer more cognisant of potential problem areas before you even started development.

You must be carefull though. When doing development, you do have to change your mentality into that of a developer that follows good SQA principles. If you think like a tester while trying to do development work, you could find yourself missing deadlines. Bottom line, let someone else test your work

------------------