User Tag List

Wil
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Switching tabs locks application

Our application has forms that consist of Views and tabs. The tabs have been declared in SilkTest as PageList.
    In our application it is possible for one or many message boxes to popup while changing tabs. Unless a mandatory field is missing the messages are informational (Ex. Date was not entered. Do you want to continue? YES/NO)and can be dismissed by selecting the YES button on the message dialog. The problem arises while attempting to change tabs. The 4Test code we have written to handle this task is as follows:
    do
    WindowName.PageListIdentifier.Select("tabname")
    except
    if (MessageBox.Exists())
    MessageBox.Yes.Click()
    WindowName.PageListIdentifier.Select("tabname")

However, when this code is executed SilkTest seems to lock up our application. The message box is dismissed but the new tab is not selected. The application is still on the starting tab BUT none of the controls are visible (there is just a blank page). At this point you are unable to change tabs either manually or through automation. The error returned from SilkTest is "Error: Item 1 is not visible".
    Is there a more efficient way of handling this type of situation? Does anyone know how can we stop SilkTest from locking up our application?

Thanks in advance,
    Chris Wilson

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Switching tabs locks application

My first thought would be the timing - maybe try putting a sleep statement after the MessageBox.Yes.Click() so you can see exactly which statement is locking up the application. Maybe it closes the pop-up and clicks on the application before the application is 'ready' to accept the mouse click.

I have seen Silk cause our applications to get very confused when it interacts in a way that a human can't.

------------------
    Atlee
    Atlee

Wil
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the suggestion, I have been able to determine that the error occurs some where between the select statement and the dismissing of the message box.
    do
    windowname.PageListIdentifier.Select("tabname")
    except
    if (MessageBox.Exists())
    MessageBox.Yes.Click()

If you run the select statement only you get the following SilkTest error "Error: Item 1 is not visible" and the message box appears on the screen. If you manually click on the 'Yes' button of the message box the application locks up. However, if you manually click on the 'NO' button the application continues working properly (the error seems to be cleared). Unfortunately I need to click on the 'Yes' button.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I assume that if you manually select the tab you can successfully click on the MessageBox Yes button. If you can't do that, then the problem is really with the application, not with Silk.

I guess that Silk is getting confused by what happens when it clicks the tab. It must know the tab is there and visible or else it couldn't click on it. I don't know enough about how Silk handles the tab click to be of any help. The only other thing I could think of would be to change the click to a windowname.Click (1, xPos, yPos) and see if the behavior changes. If that works then you know the problem is with the pagelist selection. If that fails in the same way, then it probably isn't related to the pagelist selection.

Good Luck ....

------------------
    Atlee
    Atlee

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your code has a problem.

It has to do with timing and how silk handles do..except.

Sol:

do
    windowname.PageListIdentifier.Select("tabname")
    if (MessageBox.Exists())
    MessageBox.Yes.Click()
    Browser.WaitForRead(60)//wait 60 sec max
    except

Also sometimes Silk do dismiss some windows or message box, for whatever unkonwn reason.
    Timing is the most common problem.

Also it's a good idea to have task manager open in the system tray. If the resource is taken at 100% when your app become blank then open the task manager application part, and check which app is not responding(the one under test). Basically it tells you which app Silk was trying to get a hold on but didn't succeed and it's trying to resolve the problem, usually I just kill the app that is not responding and usually(all the time for me) all resource are been release by silk and you are ready to go again.

I hope I made sense here.

------------------