SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to get info out of an ActiveX rich text field?

Here's an interesting one. One of our testers has an HTML page that has an ActiveX rich text field in it. The tester has no trouble seeing the field, of course, but he wants to be able to get information about what's contained in the field -- text attributes, that sort of thing. I just now looked up ActiveX and read that an ActiveX control exposes its methods via dispinterfaces, and that ActiveX controls are written as DLLs. I was thinking that since we're talking about a DLL, I can just call into it from SilkTest -- if only I can find out what the DLL interfaces are. Does anyone know that I can/can't do this, and if I can, where I could find some doc on what the interface is?
    Thanks!
    AG

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: How to get info out of an ActiveX rich text field?

hi..
    If u have to call a Activex DLL from silk u cannot call it directly u have to write a 'C' Wrapper over that DLL and call the wrapper from silk, but that will be too tedious.
    Instead of doing that if u have enabled activex extension for the browser u r using, u can directly use the methods exposed by the control. To have a look at the properties exposed by the control use the
    GetPropertyList() method. It return the list of all properties and methods exposed by that particular control.
    I faced the same problem in application built in VB. I used "$Text" property exposed by the richtextbox control and got the text.
    Hope this helps u.
    Regards,
    rajesh

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the objects are not recognized by silktest. our application is developed in MFC VC++ We have objects like DatePicker ToolBars, most of the push buttons are not identified.

what is the work around

Venu
    bvchary@yahoo.com

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rajesh Sankarasubramanian:
    hi..
    If u have to call a Activex DLL from silk u cannot call it directly u have to write a 'C' Wrapper over that DLL and call the wrapper from silk, but that will be too tedious.
    Instead of doing that if u have enabled activex extension for the browser u r using, u can directly use the methods exposed by the control. To have a look at the properties exposed by the control use the
    GetPropertyList() method. It return the list of all properties and methods exposed by that particular control.
    I faced the same problem in application built in VB. I used "$Text" property exposed by the richtextbox control and got the text.
    Hope this helps u.
    Regards,
    rajesh

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rajesh -- Yes, thank you, that did work! I enabled the ActiveX extension in the Extension Enabler, then in Options Extensions, then restarted the browser, then did a GetPropertyList() on the ActiveX control, and got did a GetProperty on each property in the list. I did indeed find that one of the properties had the HTML stored in it, so the testers can parse that out. That certainly was easier than I thought it would be.

Venu -- To help you, we'll have to know what kind of objects you're looking at. Is your date picker toolbar an ActiveX control? (I knew my control was because it had "OLE" in the class name.) If so, you can try doing what I did. Otherwise, you may be in the wrong discussion thread(?).

--AG

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Venu...
    I had the same problem with a date picker control.But once i enabled the activex extension for the application, silktest recognised it as an instance of OLEDtPicker Class. i have attached a declaration of that particular class.Have a look at it.
    BUt u have to enable Activex extension for that particular application's exe.
    Hope this helps u.
    regards,
    rajesh

------------------