User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Check out a License

I haven't tryied this yet, but I think I know how it is done. I believe you need SilkMeter 2.3.1 to do this.

1. <LI>Open the Policy Adminstrator
      <LI>Select Edit | Edit Grants
      <LI>In the Edit Grants dialog, enter a user name and password
      <LI>Select a time frame (can be by date, days, or hours)
      <LI>Select the number of licenses to grant
      <LI>Select [Add Grant] to create that grant
      <LI>How that is then used... that I don't know...

If you figure out the proper process, please post it so others can learn to.

------------------
    David Genrich
    david.genrich@e2open.com
    david@linuxpuppy.net

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok when that is done what do i do from the client side?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just looked at the Policy Adminstrator help document. The username and password that you set for the grant needs to match the MS Windows username/password of the user you are granting to. You can also grant via group or host name.

I believe that you then need to connect with that client on the network. After that, disconnect from the network and try to open SilkTest. It should work.

Look at the Online Help for Policy Director, the "Working with Grants" section.

------------------
    David Genrich
    david.genrich@e2open.com
    david@linuxpuppy.net

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check out a License

I want to bring my laptop to the users meeting in Lexington tonite but I can't see how to check out a License to my Laptop? Does anyone know how to do this?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's how we do it, anyway:

(We already assume you have SilkTest installed to connect to your license server, and SilkMeter 2.3.1 has been installed to both your laptop and to your server. When installing SilkMeter on both machines, you specified "localhost.")

Check out a single-user temporary policy file from the server, via local SilkMeter installation, for both Agent and SilkTest, as follows:

--If SilkTest or the Agent are running, kill them.

--Open the SilkMeter User Policy Administrator on your laptop.
    If at the top it says "connected to host [your_server]," skip to the next bulleted (dashed) item. If it says "connected to host localhost," pick Edit\Configure Manager Connection. In the SilkMeter Configure Manager Connection dialog, make sure that Use SilkMeter Manager is selected. Specify <your_server> as the server from where you wish to check out the policy, then click OK. Note that the bar at the top of the User Policy Administrator now reads "connected to host [your_server]."

--From the left list, select an Agent policy (click on the red key) that you want to check out a temporary seat from. In the right panel, make sure there is at least one seat still available. Click the "Check-out Mobile Policy" button (or you can do a menu pick). Leave the default of 1 check-out policy set as is, and increase the number of days to up to 14 if you want. Leave the "Connect to local SilkMeter server" unchecked for now. Click OK.

--Now repeat the last bulleted (dashed) item for a SilkTest policy, except that this time, before you click OK, check the box that says "Connect to local SilkMeter server."

--Now your Policy Administrator indicates that you're connected to localhost. You should also see a little blue key for an Agent license, and a little blue key for a SilkTest license. You can now kill the Policy Administrator, and boot the Agent and SilkTest locally.

AG

------------------

[This message has been edited by agroves (edited 03-07-2002).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have not fuigured this out yet. I gues i will have to call support. Thats gonna be painful. Here's what i know so far. For this to be done you need Silkmeter 2.3.1 or whatever the newest one is. Also you need to install silkmeter on the laptop. This will allow you to check out a licence out from your server. After this who knows. I have a lic checked out on the laptop but i can't figure out how to tell Silktest to use the Silkmeter on the laptop????????????????????

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow that was weird. I wrote my message then a second later i got an email saying someone replied....agroves i will try this and get back ASAP.

THANKS,

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

David was correct when he told you that you need SilkMeter 2.3.1. But you can download that easily from the Segue website.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean when you say you have a license already checked out on the laptop. As far as I understand the terminology, "checking out" doesn't just mean that you installed SilkTest to connect to your license server, and you're running off the license server. Is that what you're currently doing?

----

OOPS I just now saw your most recent posting -- yes, now I understand why you were confused -- you hadn't yet seen my explanation of the procedure. Well, good luck -- it's really pretty easy after you do that quick installation of SilkMeter on your laptop.

----

AG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It sounds like you had been working with grants, possibly because David Genrich suggested it earlier? I guess he uses grants, but we don't actually use them -- we just leave the whole pool wide open for whoever wants to log on. Go into both of your SilkMeter installations and check your grants settings -- available via a menu pick. It sounds like you're almost there!

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok agroves heres where i am at.

i uninstalled both silktest and silkmeter. Then deleted the directory in Program files just to make sure there were no files lingering. So i installed silktest and set it up to goto the server and check out a license.(Works Fine). So now i install silkmeter just like you said(localhost)then i did all the other stuff that you said.Now i have two checked out files an agent lic and a gui lic. And they are in blue on the local host. So i closed the Silkmeter and i get and error when trying to open Silktest ---" No License for "Silktest_GUI 5.5" ErrorMessage: User has no Grant for this Product" and ideas?

------------------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast