User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agent Freezing (NT4, Silk 5.0.3.2)

Hey People,
    I've been having a problem where after a couple of hours of script execution, NT4 will do this really weird "lock up" where the mouse pointer disappears and windows can not be brought up (pressing alt-tab on the test computer has no effect). This lock-down situation remains until one of the following occurs:

1) the test script crashes and fails (window cannot be set active) and I press control-esc on the test machine's keyboard in order to "unlock" windows. The freezing can also be resolved by bring up the task manager.
    The script then has to be restarted... which is not ideal. I've also tried some error recovery using do..except, however, I was unable to get silktest to send the control-esc sequence (to end the lock-up. sleeping and/or disconnecting and reconnecting have no effect).

2) the agent process is killed (remotely)... which ends the lock up (alt-tab works, all windows can be made active).

My supervisor feels that something in the code is causing this, and I was wondering if anyone has ever experienced this problem with SilkTest... I'm a little confused and don't know where to go next.. it seems that if I put more idle time in the scripts (sleep), the probability of the situation occurring is greatly reduced. I use a lot of loops (while Window1.Exists) etc, however, I doubt that that would be a problem.

Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated..
    thanks
    Steve
    (stevens@opmr.com)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Agent Freezing (NT4, Silk 5.0.3.2)

Hi Steve,

I have had in the past a need to run my scripts for a continous period. What I found was that the longer my test ran the slower they became (I ran my test for periods over 12 hours). My solution was to disconnect my agents and refresh them from time to time. This resolved my issue. Maybe this might be offer you a solution.

Good Luck,
    Conor

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I experience similar problem where the machine is not locked up but just moves extremely slow. So slow it appears to be locked. If I just stop the test and restart, it seems ok. This just happens to me once in a while and I can usually run tests for days without it happening.

------------------
    Have you ever noticed? Anybody going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Steve,

I experience this myself sometimes. What I have noticed is that it sometimes could be a timing issue, so you might what to increase the mouse and keyboard delay. Also, before I run my testcases over night, I turn my machine off (Shut-down), then on again and start my testcases.

------------------
    Who Tests The Tester...
    Who Tests The Tester...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey people,
    thanks for your responses.. very reassuring (as I'm not the only one with this issue)

CPFineos-> I'll try the disconnect/reconnect thing soon, in the meantime I've turned off all verification except for unique window tags & coordinates within the window. I'm pretty sure this won't fix the problem and that I'll have to implement a "break" as you described (after x time running, sleep for a while). Sounds good, thanks..

TonyM-> yeah I've noticed that too (tests seem to slow down as they run for extended periods)... at first I thought it was the software we were testing but after reading the replies, I figure it's a silktest issue of some sort.

Tsika-> Hey, thanks for replying.. My only question is about "increasing the mouse and keyboard delay" -- do you mean sleeping more after using the input devices or is there a way to slow down the mouse and keyboard that differs from sleeping (i.e. through settings or configuration, etc)?

Thanks again to everyone who took the time to reply...
    Steve

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Steve,

You can set the mouse and keyboard delay from Options -> Agent. Select the Timing tab, and change "Keyboard Event Delay" and "Mouse Event Delay". The higher you go up, the slow each event is. To trial it out, set it anywhere between 0.2 - 0.5. Later you can either increase or decrease the timing.

Hope this helps...

------------------
    Who Tests The Tester...
    Who Tests The Tester...